Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Durham Colliery names

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 24 Jul 2004 09:50

I found this site for Durham Collieries. There is a name search for disasters and related deaths at all the mines and it seems very comprehensive with details on the deaths as well. If you're looking for miners in Durham this might be a good place to start. http://www(.)dmm.()org(.)uk/colliery/e023.htm Sylvia

Joyce

Joyce Report 24 Jul 2004 14:47

Hi, there, I agree, an excellent site !! I found my gtgrandfather's death purely by accident ( no pun intended ) Apparently he had an accident underground and died of back injuries abou two weeks later. Worth a look for anyone with mining ancestry. Cheerio Joyce

Seasons

Seasons Report 24 Jul 2004 15:28

Super site Unfortunately it doesn't show my uncle - although a miner he died from pneumonia!!!

Sand

Sand Report 24 Jul 2004 20:48

Hi Sylvia, I would be really interested in this site, as many members of my family worked in Durham collieries--in fact, my Grand was killed by pneumococcis caused by the pits. Unfortunately, I can't find the site. Can you help? What search term did you use to find it in the first place? Many thanks!

Barbara

Barbara Report 24 Jul 2004 20:58

I've used this site a few times it shows not only Durham coal mines but also mines in Cumbria, it is very useful found someone on my tree from Cumberland on the site. Barbara.

Geoff

Geoff Report 24 Jul 2004 21:03

The URL is given in the first post, but looking for Durham Mining Museum should find it.

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Jul 2004 21:11

It is a great site. There is also an address you can write and phone too, they hold all the records of employment and training of ex- employees who were born after 1916. Hayes IMS Central Enquries Service, Provincial House, Solly Street, Sheffield. S1 4BA Tel: 0114 279 9642/3 Fax: 0114 279 9641 They need to know dates of births for the people you are looking for when you enquire. Jo