Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help !! I've hit the wall.....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynette

Lynette Report 21 Jul 2004 08:58

I have got back as far as my great grand parents, but am stuck now for the next generation up. I have James Viccars (Maybe spelt Vicars) and Charlotte Viccars (Nee Spooner), both born in Winslow Bucks James in 1857 and Charlotte in1851. They had moved to London by 1882 when he joined the Metropolitan Police. Cannot find parents for either of them. Any ideas of where to look ? Hope this makes sense.....

Kim

Kim Report 21 Jul 2004 09:11

can you post a message on the records borad for a look up in and earlier census which may show them with their parents/ have you triedto find them on 1837/freebmd to get their birth certs? Kim

Janet

Janet Report 21 Jul 2004 09:34

If you are interested in finding out more about his career in the Metropolitan Polce then his records will be in the National Archives at Kew which does mean a trip to London. See the NA website. Janet

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Jul 2004 09:50

1. Try FreeBMD to see if you can get their birth cert references. 2. Contact Bucks Family History Society - they have transcripts of baptisms for the whole of Bucks. Type the name in to get their website for info. 3. http://www*.policeorders.*co.uk/ is a website which you need to register, but is free to use and will give you your relatives' police badge no. and hopefully some info about when he joined the force/left etc. This will help you if you want to search the MEPO (Met Police) files at Kew. Helen

Lynette

Lynette Report 21 Jul 2004 20:11

Thank you all so much for the info - I shall have a look and see what I can find

Wendy

Wendy Report 22 Jul 2004 01:07

There is a police database for the Met. I will try to give it with * If you don't get it. e-mail me . If your ancestor is on it, they can give you his file, which should include d.o.b. and parents. Here I go---have not had much luck with these contrived addresses. www[.]policeorders.co.uk Wendy

Wendy

Wendy Report 22 Jul 2004 01:09

They did not allow that message and I don't know why! www[.]policeorders[.]co[.]uk. Remove brackets