Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 16 Jul 2004 14:56

I am trying to find out if my farther Edgar Cushing ever had a wife, I know that he was married but I do not know who to. He was born in 1880 in Norwich, in the 1901 census he was still singe he would have been around 20 then. My mother lived with him for a few years, Diana, but they never married. I am trying to trace any decendants he may have had. he died in fakenham in1957, he was a methodist minister.

Smiley

Smiley Report 16 Jul 2004 15:35

Hi Margaret I can see your father on 1881 with his parents, 1891 with his grandmother & mother & 1901 with his uncle & family. This must be absolutely fascinating to be able to trace a parent. You could go through 1837 online and check for marriages, but this would be rather costly for you, no marriage came up on Ancestry or FreeBMD Sam * I take it you are the person or related to the person that has posted on Rootschat for Edgar Cushing.

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Jul 2004 16:14

Margaret You are looking for a marriage between Edgar Cushing and AN Other between 1901-1957, most probably somewhere in Norfolk. Can you narrow down your search time a bit - i.e. was he married before he met your mother and when would that be? Do you know where in Norfolk he lived most of his life? As a methodist minister he might well have married in a methodist church, or possibly a register office, depending on his wife's religious persuasion as well as his own. Once you've got a more specific date, you will need to consult the GRO marriage indexes, either in London or at a public library hopefully within travelling distance of you. This may be cheaper than 1837online and my personal experience is that the big books in Family Record Centre are easier on the eye! Happy hunting Helen