Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What is a ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

shropgirl

shropgirl Report 16 Jul 2004 14:50

Mechanist, on a Marriage Cert . I also saw it on an Army Record. Also was there a Mechanics Institute around 1850 ?Or is this something different ? Joan

Geoff

Geoff Report 16 Jul 2004 15:08

Mechanist - a person skilled in making machinery and tools. Re Institute: try here http://www.infed.org/walking/wa-birb.htm

shropgirl

shropgirl Report 16 Jul 2004 15:44

So please which do you think it is ? Thank you Joan

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Jul 2004 16:07

According to my copy of Collins' Millennium Dictionary, a mechanist is: 1. a person who accepts a mechanistic philosophy 2. another name for a mechanician - person skilled in making machinery and tools, a technician. Which one applies to your relative? Well, is he more likely to be a tool maker or a philosopher. If a philosopher, how would he make a living - probably by lecturing and writing. In which case he would probably be defined as a writer/lecturer. Helen

shropgirl

shropgirl Report 16 Jul 2004 16:12

He was in the Army,or about to join, and then a Police Inspector Which would you go for ? Joan

Geoff

Geoff Report 16 Jul 2004 16:18

Metaphysics - 1. the branch of philosophy that deals with first principles, esp of being and knowing; 2. the philosophical study of the nature of reality, concerned with such questions as the existence of God, the external world etc. Re Helen's definition of mechanist: I found the same, then looked up "mechanician".

shropgirl

shropgirl Report 16 Jul 2004 20:35

Thank you Geoff, Jean, and Helen. I'm a lot wiser now Thank you so much Joan

Stan

Stan Report 16 Jul 2004 23:31

Hi Joan In case the question about the Mechanics' Institute is still relevant, I should add that they were for working people who wanted to improve and educate themselves - evening classes and reading rooms for example, where they could study and learn anything from reading and writing upwards. Regards Stan