Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Old Passports 1920's does anyone know if....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 15 Jul 2004 22:43

Hi All, Posted this on General board but knowone answered so putting on here. I have an old passport photo(quite large) of my Mum, rescued from her Passport which my Dad destroyed when she died. The Photo has embossed and also stamped with FOREIGN OFFICE. Does this mean that she went abroad or did they always stamp passport photos in this way. I ask as I remember seeing inside passport when I was quite young a stamp for Australia. My mum was 19 years old and the date on Photo is 22nd Sept 1927. Everyone denied her having gone abroad. Family Secret? I am playing detective here. Sandra

Geoff

Geoff Report 15 Jul 2004 22:51

I just checked my wife's 1970 passport and the photo was embossed "Foreign and Commonwealth Office".

Sandra

Sandra Report 15 Jul 2004 22:53

Thanks Geoff, Thats part of my question asnswered, now have to find out if she went to Aussie or not. Many thanks for your reply. Best wishes, Sandra

Ann

Ann Report 16 Jul 2004 08:13

Just a thought, but if she applied for a passport, I would suspect it was because she needed it to go abroad. Could the stamp have been for Austria perhaps? That is not such a long haul, it would be easier to go there and back in shorter time and then 'cover it up' if you were so inclined.

Judith

Judith Report 16 Jul 2004 09:03

I can't think of a reason why anyone would have had a passport in those days unless they were planning to go abroad. I suppose having applied for it the plans might fall through but if you saw a stamp inside the passport then think she must have used it.