Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gold coins in the UK?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 14 Jul 2004 23:49

Does anyone know, were any large, gold coins minted in the UK around or before the 1880's? Thank you, Lisa

Susanne

Susanne Report 15 Jul 2004 00:05

Lisa, In 1839 there was a £5 Gold coin produced, but very few of them. I found a website that lists all the history of UK coinage including what they were made of if you can read it without falling asleep!!: http://www.friesian.*com/coins.htm (remove the *) Sue:-)

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 15 Jul 2004 00:33

Sue: thank you very much! I have a photograph (from the 1880's) of my ancestor wearing coins; she lived in Canada, her parent's were Irish and her in-laws were English. Just wondering if the coins could be from the UK. Thanks for your help, Sue. :~)

Ian

Ian Report 15 Jul 2004 10:17

Lisa Of course without actually seeing the coins it is hard to speculate (even whether they were UK coins). Assuming your picture is black and white, then maybe these are new, shiny one penny coins? They were minted in a form of copper and when new and shiny might look a bit like gold in a b/w photo. They are highly unlikely to have been five pound coins! Just a guess. Ian

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 15 Jul 2004 17:04

Hi Ian. Thank you for your comments. I didn't even realize they were coins until last week (I thought they were buttons). I took them to our local museum (for dating the photos) and the gentleman there said "Oh. This is highly unusual. She is wearing coins." They are attached to the top of her dress. Unfortunately, I cannot see the largest coin, but it doesn't appear to be a person's face, so I have no idea. The man at the museum (who knew QUITE a lot about the photographs) thought that at least one might be gold, but as I said, to me they had just looked like buttons. My main goal was to have one photo in particular dated and it was, so I am happy. Thank you for your input, I always appreciate hearing what others have to say. (I wouldn't think a lady would be wearing a gold coin either.) :~)

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 16 Jul 2004 06:13

Hi Joy. Someone else emailed me and suggested the same thing! Sadly, I've come to the conclusion that I just can't see enough definition in the coin to tell what it was. I just know that it wasn't a "head". But at least the photos were dated which is more than I could have asked. Thank you for your help. :~)