Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can one person be on 2 census returns??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Russell

Russell Report 13 Jul 2004 10:33

see below

Russell

Russell Report 13 Jul 2004 10:39

In 1861, I have found 2 people called Nancy Fearn. One is living with my 4xggrandmother Martha Douglas in Thornhill near Dewsbury, She is listed as a visitor and is aged 16, born in Thornhill. The second is living with her parents Joseph Fearn and Hannah Fearn (nee Douglas) in Batley. She is aged 17 and born in Thornhill. On 1851, Nancy is living with her parents in Batley. Fearn is a very uncommon name in that area at that time as Joseph was from Bakewell in Derbyshire. Checking on familyhistoryonline, there is only 1 Nancy Fearn listed for 1851 in Kirklees. I know that the HuddersfieldFHS have name indexes for the whole of that area for 1851. I believe they are the same person, what do you think?? Thanks for your help Russell

Judith

Judith Report 13 Jul 2004 11:13

Sounds very much as though parents thought they should give names of everyone who usually lived in the house or forgot that Nancy was out that night.

Geoff

Geoff Report 13 Jul 2004 11:19

I too have had someone appearing twice, once as a visitor and once with her parents.

Anne

Anne Report 13 Jul 2004 13:35

I also have three people who appear twice! Some are with relatives and others with employers. It really makes you wonder how many there were like this - I only have about 350 people on my trees but I know of these three and another two possibles. These are just the ones I know about - there might be others for all I know! At this rate the population must have been smaller than they thought. On the other hand I suppose they are cancelled out by all those people we can't find!! Anne

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Jul 2004 16:28

I have a relative who appears twice in the 1861, once listed with her parents, and once where I believe she actually was, at work in another village. Helen

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 13 Jul 2004 19:15

It's not fair! I only get the ones who aren't listed at all!!

Steph

Steph Report 13 Jul 2004 19:21

My great grandfather appears twice in 1901, once living with his parents, and once with his 'secret' wife!!!!!!!!!!!

Allie

Allie Report 13 Jul 2004 19:59

Russell, I have a rellie twice on a census return. He was a railwayman who was listed at his lodgings where he worked and also listed with his family at another address. With a first name of Kenric, I am pretty sure its the same man as both have his occupation as being a railwayman. Allie

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 13 Jul 2004 21:05

Could Nancy the Visitor be visiting from another county? She may have been born there, moved away, and been back on census night. So don't just check for births in that county. It is possible for her to be the same person. Enumeraters had to walk so Nancy could have been at her parents' when he called, walked to the other house and still been there when the enumerator came calling.

Claire

Claire Report 13 Jul 2004 23:04

You've probably figured this out by now – but yes. Two of my ancestors were servants to the 19th-century church architect and stained-glass artist Frederick Preedy (1820-1898). In the 1881 Census, he is listed as head of household at his home/work address (13 York Place, London W1) – but simultaneously as a 'visitor' at the Vicarage, Cold Ashby, Northants (where he was designing/making two stained-glass windows for the church). There weren't two of him...

Kevin

Kevin Report 14 Jul 2004 01:40

Yes people can appear twice or more on the census return. In the last one me and my flat mates had had some beer when we filled ours out so not only are we Jedi Knights for religon but then went to a friends flat to have a few more beers and was put on there as visiting.

Russell

Russell Report 14 Jul 2004 17:24

Thankyou everyone for your input. Russell

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 14 Jul 2004 22:16

I also have a person on 2 census returns in 1901. On one of them he was at sea and the other one he was at home! Maggy

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Jul 2004 23:18

So there you have it Russell. Either two entries or no entries. At least in 1841-1901 they weren't Jedi knights!