Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hit the brick wall

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eddie

Eddie Report 13 Jul 2004 04:19

I've come to a holt with this one. Please can anyone help? I have my GG Grandfathers marrage cert and his wifes birth cert, but cannot find any records of his birth. His name is Frederick March .The GRO have done a search for me of his birth year 1855 and a year either way. On the 1881 census he gives his place of birth as Bristol. His father is William March (cabinet maker) deceased on his marrage cert. I have found a William March in the 1851 cotswold/sherbourne census who was a carpenter, could this be the same William ? Has anyone any ideas. Pete.

Smiley

Smiley Report 13 Jul 2004 06:44

You've given us his fathers name Pete, but not his, is he William also? Sam *I don't think so as I cannot see him on 1881

Eddie

Eddie Report 13 Jul 2004 07:01

Thanks Sam I've added his name.

Janet

Janet Report 13 Jul 2004 09:23

If William March deceased was a cabinet Maker then there is a good chance you will find him in the Kellys or other Trade Directories. Best to stick to Bristol for the present unless you know differently. To wander all around the country with a name is not a good idea as you would be surprised at the number of Fred and William March you come up agains b the same era. A trawl of just one year is not really enough. I suggest a "trawl" of 5 years initially on either side and extend to 10 years to be sure. You can trawl yourself on Free BMD or you could also try the GRO Fiche in your nearest big library or LDS Centre for free but do check first if they have the GRO Fiche and if not where near you. If you live near London the Kellys and other Trade Directories are available countrywide at the Guildhall Library and I have checked a business by this method for 50 years. You could also try the Trade Directory website: www.historicaldirectories.org. Not all the directories are on here but you may be in luck. Otherwise it will be a trip to Bristol and check the libraries first. Best to check back to when started and forward to when finished. Finishing date will give you approx date of death or move from the area. A Cabinet Maker is very different to a Carpenter. Hope this gives you some ideas that your brick wall is not unsurmountable!! Janet