Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

illigitimate registration

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 13 Jul 2004 00:33

My mother was born illigitimate and never knew who her father was she said in those days you dare not ask. my question is would any records be kept of who the father was. My mum is no longer living, she was born 1915 in Barnsley have her birth certificate with no father on it Any advice would be helpful.

Wendy

Wendy Report 13 Jul 2004 00:35

Are there any relatives alive who could help you? Ask now before it's too late. Wendy

Jean

Jean Report 13 Jul 2004 00:49

No I don't have anyone I can ask my mother said an aunt of hers knew but never told her I just wondered if any records had to be kept

Wendy

Wendy Report 13 Jul 2004 01:02

I would suggest that you check every family loft and cupboard! Everyone says they have nothing, but often they do. My mother was an "orphan" and never mentioned her mother. It was only when she had advanced Alzheimer's that I realised I had left it too late! My father said he had nothing. But I found photos and a diary written by my grandmother in his house, plus other documents which gave me clues to pursue. Search please. Apart from this, I don't think there are any records. Do you know of any other relatives? Your mother's birth certificate gives her mother's name. Can you learn anything about her family first---that may give you a lead. Wendy

Jane

Jane Report 13 Jul 2004 07:24

Jean, Sometimes the parish records might contain a note of the reputed father - certainly some of the 19th Century ones do. If she was christened, have a look at the local church/parish registers. Regs Jane