Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

spotland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

kim

kim Report 12 Jul 2004 15:44

hi i have recently come across a residence in peterborough known as the spotland (1870s), has anyone come across this before or can anyone tell me if it is an area or a housename, can find no records of it anywhere thanks kim

Geoff

Geoff Report 12 Jul 2004 16:06

The only Spotland that I, Google or Streetmap know is in Rochdale. All I can suggest is that you go to www.old-maps.*co.uk , search for Peterborough, zoom in and look around.

Paul

Paul Report 12 Jul 2004 16:06

There is a township of SPOTLAND in the parish of Rochdale in 1830, can be seen at www(.)mancuniensis(.)info/SpotlandFP(.)htm Paul

kim

kim Report 12 Jul 2004 16:22

thanks for that, yes i have come across rochdale to, my geography is bad didnt think that was anywhere near peterborough, think i will try old maps again thanks

Geoff

Geoff Report 12 Jul 2004 16:23

If further confirmation were needed, Rochdale Football Club's ground is called Spotland.

kim

kim Report 12 Jul 2004 16:42

am not sure wether to thank you guys again , am more confused than ever, does rochdale boder onto the countys of northampton,huntingdon and cams as they were known in 1850, the area i was looking for originally was spotland peterborough as geography no good here am more lost,confused more to say least as one of the neighbouring places on the mancuniens map is that of the family name i am researching,not only lost now am puzzled and bewildered lol thanks kim

Geoff

Geoff Report 12 Jul 2004 17:29

Rochdale is in Lancashire, some way north of Manchester. Peterborough is 130 miles SE of Manchester.

kim

kim Report 12 Jul 2004 17:47

thanks geoff, i dont think this can be same place,will have to keep looking, maybe its name of house or institution thanks anyway, kim