Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Opinions please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 12 Jul 2004 00:12

George Payne christened 1803 Fareham (IGI) 1841 George age 35 Fareham occupation ? 1850 marries for 2nd time occupation Shopkeeper 1851 census looks like shoemaker 1852 son gets married gives father's occupation as Cordwainer! 1857 son remarries, fathers occupation somethingmaker 1871 census George is now a Baker 1877 dies - Master Baker Son's name is Charles Pargent Payne - Pastry cook on both marriage certificates Have I been looking at two different Georges or is he just being a "Pain" in the neck Opinions/suggestions welcome Jean

Geoff

Geoff Report 12 Jul 2004 00:13

A cordwainer was a shoemaker.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 12 Jul 2004 06:53

Hi, I would say it is likely that they are different people. A Master Baker would have to have served an apprenticeship and he seems rather old to have switched careers. He would have to be "qualified" as a journeyman baker before he was allowed his own apprentice making him a master. Shoe makers or cordwainers usually served apprenticeships as well. It would be very unusual for one man to have served two apprenticeships. The county record office may have lists of apprentices and masters. They may also hold copies of apprenticeship "contracts". Those who qualified often became Freemen so may appear on those lists. Hope this helps, Gwynne

Anne

Anne Report 12 Jul 2004 13:44

One line of my ancestors began as cordwainers/shoemakers. Then were recorded as leather sellers and eventually became grocers. This took place over about four generations. Anne

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Jul 2004 17:52

I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same chap! I have one chap who went from being a bargemaster to a grocer to a pork butcher and his son went from a butcher to a "gentleman". These are indisputably the same people throughout but it often depends on who gives the information. I have a few sons on marriage certificates elevating their fathers' occupations - baker to pastry chef being one of them (despite the father himself giving baker as his occupation before and after the marriage in censuses) Don't know if this'll help! :) David

Jean

Jean Report 13 Jul 2004 11:01

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I must admit I thought going from cordwainer to master baker a bit odd but the ages seem right and the son@s name isnt particularly common. Unfortunately Georges death was'nt registered by his wife or a name I recognize. There was another son & daughter so I might try their marriage certificates to see what they say. Thanks again Jean

Judith

Judith Report 13 Jul 2004 11:08

Could it be the Bakery had previously been run by an older member of George's family and he inherited it? I have a gt gt grandfather who was an "agents clerk" on successive censuses then suddenly in his 70s became a wheelwright (a business started by his father and carried out by older brother until then)