Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Child in hospital for census - advice please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Jul 2004 15:24

I have a child who I'm 99% sure is my ancestor, and who was a patient in the Royal Southampton Hospital at the time of the 1901 census. Is there any way that I can find out who his parents were without actually ordering his birth cert? Thanks for any help. Mandy :)

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 11 Jul 2004 15:33

How old was the child - is it possible that he would show up in the 1891 ? Sue

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Jul 2004 17:25

Hi Sue - unfortunately not, he was 5 years old. The older brother was just born on the 1891 and on the night of the 1901 census was staying at his grandmothers - probably so that mum and dad could visit the hospital! Thanks for your reply. Mandy :)

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 12 Jul 2004 12:44

Search for the grandmother on 1891 and 1881. The parent of your sick child may well be there. Of course, the grandmother might have half a dozen potentials with her but at least it will give you names and ages to point you in the right direction.

George

George Report 12 Jul 2004 13:41

Mandy, what the childs surname? If its not too common I could use the decoder to work out if they were in Southampton at the time. George

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Jul 2004 19:05

Hi Kate Thanks for your help. I've got the family all linked up - parents, granny and older son - except for this little chap in the hospital. I'm fairly sure that he's theirs, but I wanted to verify it. Many thanks. Hi George Thanks for your kind offer. The reason why I'm 99% sure it's the right one is because the surname is Ruddock - there weren't many at all in Southampton and it would explain why their older child was staying at granny's on the night of the census (also in Southampton). I viewed the census pages on Ancestry; I just wondered if there was any record of who these little patients belonged to!! Many thanks, Mandy :))