Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help! Where did they go and where do I search next

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nichola

Nichola Report 11 Jul 2004 14:56

I have information from the 1891 census that details the family I am researching, however I cannot find them on the 1901 census. They had 15 children in total who would be aged between 1 and 27 in 1901. I known that three of the children named as Fern Leaf aged 15/16 in 1901, Adonis aged 10/12 in 1901 and Vine Leaf aged 5 in 1901 (all male) must have been alive in 1901 as I have records that shown they all married and had children who are still alive today. Any suggestions of how I can trace where they were in 1901. There parents were James and Margaret Leaf. Margaret sometimes went by her middle name of Annie and lived in York.

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 11 Jul 2004 15:02

They have been mistranscribed as LEAL !!! I did a search for :- first name - Vine age - 5 plus/minus 2 years sex - male born - york and he came up!! Haven't got the decoder, but you should be able to find them now. Maz. XX

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 11 Jul 2004 15:03

Have you tried name variations - they may have been mistranscribed Sue

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 11 Jul 2004 15:04

Maz beat me to it - don't know where your answer was when I wrote mine ! S.

Nichola

Nichola Report 11 Jul 2004 15:15

Thanks so very very much. It looks like the whole family were mistranscribed. I should beable to continue with my research now.

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 11 Jul 2004 15:30

You're welcome - just needed a fresh pair of eyeballs! Maz. XX

Anne

Anne Report 12 Jul 2004 13:53

Please tell us some of the other names - Fern Leaf and Vine Leaf, what great names!!! Anne

Ann

Ann Report 12 Jul 2004 16:35

Adonis Leaf is a cool name too!!!!

Patricia

Patricia Report 12 Jul 2004 16:56

I've just managed to overcome the very same problem this afternoon. I knew that some of my family members were hiding somewhere in the 1901 census, but I'd tried every variation of the name Penistone that I could think of. ( I have Penistones on my side of the family, and I'm also married to one - they must be related, but I've yet to find out where the link is!). I'd searched on initial letters too, but found nothing. Today, for some reason, it occurred to me that I hadn't searched just using first names so I put in the name of the head of the household, Charles H, plus the birthplace, and there they were masquerading as 'Renistons'! As well as finding my great grandmother and her parents I've found seven other children...don't you just love it when that happens? Pat

Nichola

Nichola Report 12 Jul 2004 17:37

Names of children are Joseph (male - with normal name) Rose (female) Edgar (male) Violet (Female) Lily (female) Fern (male) Daisy (female) Adonis (male) Nolana (male - unusal name) Laurel (female) Basil (male) Vine (male) Eric (male - with normal name) Ivy (female) George (female - with normal name) It looks like they liked the names of flowers and herbs. Strange names to choose cosidering the surname is Leaf.

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Jul 2004 17:42

Nichola At least you aren't trying to find a Thomas or an Eliza among thousands!! think the names are lovely.