Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What does baptised by "dissenting Minister" mean?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Trevor

Trevor Report 10 Jul 2004 17:04

Just found a record in an Independant church, which says above. Not being knowledgeable in these matters, could do with some advice Many thanks Trevor in West Sussex.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 10 Jul 2004 17:48

Hi, A dissenting minister is one not of the established church - ie Anglican. Most likely to be a Congregationalist, Presbyterian, Methodist or any other religion following on from the Puritans. Gwynne

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jul 2004 18:02

Hi Trevor Just confirming what Gwynne has said really - it's a minister from one of the non-Anglican churches. We attend a Methodist church and a lot of people from years ago are buried in our town's Dissenters' Cemetery. Regards, Mandy :)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Jul 2004 20:50

Does it give the age of the child/person? It could be an adult baptism by total immersion as done in the Baptist church. Ann Glos

Wendy

Wendy Report 13 Jul 2004 01:09

I am sure that "Independent" was later known as Congregational---I have one in my husband's family. Wendy