Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

convent look-up?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 10 Jul 2004 13:14

hi all I believe my grandmother was placed in a convent aged about 6 which would make it around 1912 I have the following info.... St Marys convent, Tudhoe, Spennymore, Durham Any ideas if this can be checked out? thanks

Susan

Susan Report 10 Jul 2004 14:11

Have e-mailed you direct Carol

Carol

Carol Report 10 Jul 2004 14:48

thanks....have done so

George

George Report 10 Jul 2004 16:49

In 1914 There was a place in Tudhoe called St Mary's Home for Catholic Girls, not sure yet which order ran it but that was its proper name. In 1914 there were 214 occupants in this home. Also mentioned in index is a Tudhoe Home poor law school for girls run by Sisters of Charity. I would guess they are the same place. I would suggest contacting the Sisters of Charity :~)

Carol

Carol Report 10 Jul 2004 19:53

many thanks. I will try that one too. I love this site,everybody is so helpful. many thanks