Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can I find out who spouse was before ordering cert

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nichola

Nichola Report 9 Jul 2004 17:08

I am trying to confirm the spouse of Alice Kaye married either in Sept 1908 or Sept 1909. I have searched freebmd under spouse to see if his record has same dates. Is it possbile that the marriage is only transcribed under her name at the moment.

Anne

Anne Report 9 Jul 2004 17:14

Yes, if there are not four names (2 male and 2 female) on the page number it means the spouses have not all been transcribed yet. Unfortunately it makes ordering the certificate more of a gamble. If you know the name you could check it was on the same page as Alice either on 1837online, or at your nearest large library. Anne

Nichola

Nichola Report 9 Jul 2004 17:16

Thanks Anne

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jul 2004 17:18

If you know who the spouse should be and want it confirmed, you can use it as a checking point when ordering your cert. Helen

BrianW

BrianW Report 9 Jul 2004 17:40

From what year does 1837online show the spouse's surname? I know it applied in 1920 because that's how I knew I'd got the right marriage for my aunt, although it was several miles from where I expected it to have been.

Kim

Kim Report 9 Jul 2004 19:23

Does show the spouse surname,on 1837 but I think not until 1911/12 marriages. Kim

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 10 Jul 2004 14:14

You can order the cert with just the bride's name or, as suggested, put it down as a checking point if there's more than one possibility.