Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cholera epidemic 1849

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Jul 2004 16:33

I recently saw in a 'did you know' column in a newspaper that there was a cholera epidemic in britain in the summer of 1849, more than 33000 people died 13000 of whom were from London. So if you are looking for people who disappeared around that time this is what might have happened to them as I believe they were not always given single burials. I don't know if there would be a list of them anywhere. Ann Glos

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jul 2004 16:54

There was more than one cholera epidemic I believe. Although the population of London was smaller, many people lived in overcrowded conditions and shared water from a common pump, so diseases spread easily. Cholera was thought to be caused by a "bad smell" until Dr John Snow proved it was water-borne by the simple expedient of removing a pump handle from a suspected water supply. I don't know how the deaths were recorded, but during the plague of 1665, there were "Bills of Mortality" published weekly. One of them (in a book about the fire of London) gives some causes of death we would recognise: aged, cancer, childbed, drown'd, smallpox, jaundice, murder. Here are some that seem a bit bizarre: frightened, grief, griping in the guts, lethargy, teeth, winde! Helen