Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Nurse (SUB M S) ???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary

Mary Report 8 Jul 2004 15:14

Can anyone tell me what this means ? There's a lodger in the house of one lot of rellies with this occupation along with my great grandmother and a 1 week old baby and I'm wondering if she was a midwife of some description. Mary

Pat

Pat Report 8 Jul 2004 15:28

What year was this 1901? Later there would be two possible answers one Midwife but unlikely as the child is born. The other is Mental Subnormality Nurse. I dont have the early variations of Nursing catagories, but I did SEN (state enrolled nursing) and the sub of it MS (Mental Subnormality) Roll. Maybe the lady was suffering some from Post Natal Depression.

Mary

Mary Report 8 Jul 2004 15:55

This was on the 1881 census. I suppose it could be that the 1 week old baby was nothing a member of the family as it states and maybe Eliza was expecting a baby at the time. Yet another one of the mysteries my rellies seem to keep throwing at me. Of course, it could be that the nurse was working nearby and just lodging there and its just me clutching at any straws. Mary

Pat

Pat Report 8 Jul 2004 16:09

After my reply I wondered the same it is more likely the Nurse was just lodging there. In 1881 I dont think Women would have been Nursed at home if suffering from any sort of Depression, most likely put into the nearest Mental Institution, unless we are talking about Royality or the upper classes who could just employ a private Nurse to help the lady through. Maybe there is some info on the net on the old Nursing Catagories that would shed more light on this, and maybe you can find out what Hospitals were nearby. Good Luck. Pat

Geoff

Geoff Report 8 Jul 2004 16:21

Seen this one before - I think it was Subsidiary Medical Service - included midwives I think.

Mary

Mary Report 8 Jul 2004 18:42

Thanks to all of you - I know more than I did. I'll check what hospitals were nearby. I know the address was Parklers or Extons Lodge,Benefield, Northampton. Not somewhere I know and I come from Northamptonshire so I'll check it out. Bless you all Mary

Tracy

Tracy Report 14 Jul 2004 01:38

hia could it be that sub m s was a shorthand way for them to write substitute milk source? just a thought.

Geoff

Geoff Report 14 Jul 2004 09:03

http://www.mail-archive.*com/[email protected]/msg06874.html (remove *)

Mary

Mary Report 14 Jul 2004 14:49

Tried that site Geoff but got Page not Displayed then the site but not with /london-l. Hate to appear a bit dense but I wasn't sure after looking at it what I was actutally looking for and how can I get the london-l part of it ? Mary

Geoff

Geoff Report 14 Jul 2004 15:19

The power of Google found me this "Nurse SMS: Up until 1919 anyone could call themselves a Nurse. Putting Nurse SMS (Subsidiary Medical Services, ie anyone other than a properly qualified medical doctor) on a census form would have been an attempt to indicate that one was properly experienced and employed and not just the woman-up-the-road-who "did"."

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 14 Jul 2004 19:07

She could have been a qualified Monthly Nurse. These were employed for the first month after the birth to care for the baby while the mother was "lying in"

Mary

Mary Report 15 Jul 2004 10:14

Thanks for that. Geoff, when I go on to the web site you suggested what exactly am I looking for and how do I do it ? Mary

Geoff

Geoff Report 15 Jul 2004 11:22

Sorry, I didn't spot the "AT" sign which was edited out http://www.mail-archive.*com/london-l*AT*rootsweb.com/msg06874.html (remove *s and replace AT with the symbol) It's a reply on a message board by someone who had written a book on Old Occupations.

Mary

Mary Report 15 Jul 2004 13:03

Thanks Geoff - useful to know. Mary