Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help us to help on "Trying to Find" Board

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Jul 2004 14:08

I sometimes like to do a bit of digging for other people - just to get them on their way so to speak. Unfortunately I am finding it a very difficult to help a lot more people for lack of information. I would ask that as well as putting the town where they were born etc can you also put the county if known plus years would help even if it's an about year. I sometimes have to smile when you see messages like: I am researching the Smith surname in the London area - can anyone help or I trying to find my GGG parents John Jones who married Elizabeth Brown and had four children is there anyone connected. Please have a good rummage and add as much info as you can even if it's an assumption that might guide us in the right direction - many a brickwall have come crushing down on them. Happy Hunting Lin

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Jul 2004 16:19

Hello Elizabeth Found the family in the 1881, who's children were Austin aged 14 and Austin Tom aged 8. I have a good rummage, e you soon Lin

Grace

Grace Report 9 Jul 2004 22:01

HI LIN I AM VERY NEW TO GENEALOGY BUT WILLING TO LEARN, HAVE MANAGED TO TRACE G.G.GRANDMOTHER IN THE 1837 CENSUS, SHE IS AGED 50 WIDOWED WITH 2 SONS CHARLES AND ROBERT AND A DAUGHTER SARAH, BUT CAN'T FIND ANY INFO ON HER HUSBAND, THEY COME FROM THE LAWFORD/MANNINGTREE AREA IN ESSEX, ANY GUIDANCE OR HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED. BETH PARKER

Geoff

Geoff Report 9 Jul 2004 23:59

Beth/Grace Parker OK, you are admit that you are new to the game (and, I assume, nervous posting on this board). You mention your gg-grandmother - we all have EIGHT of those, so not giving her surname makes it difficult for us to know who you are talking about. You mention the 1837 census (there wasn't one) - you probably mean 1881 - we cannot be sure though. Since this thread was about posting helpful/useful information, I think you can see that you have perhaps fallen short of what is needed. Many of us would like to help but need to know exactly whom we are searching for.

Tudor

Tudor Report 10 Jul 2004 01:17

Geoff is right, the more information you give the better. Most of us are more than willing to help, but it makes it much easier to locate the relative information if you pass on what you have. It also helps you, as it can avoid chasing the wrong individual or families.

Smiley

Smiley Report 10 Jul 2004 01:42

BETH PARKER Is this your family? Household: 1881 Catherine PARKER Head W Female 50 Lawford, Essex, England Charwoman Charles PARKER Son U Male 25 Lawford, Essex, England Blacksmith Robert PARKER Son U Male 23 Lawford, Essex, England Ag Lab Sarah A. PARKER Daur U Female 18 Lawford, Essex, England Gertrude PATTEN Boarder Female 1 Ipswich, Suffolk, England Let us know Beth, before we look any further Sam

Geoff

Geoff Report 10 Jul 2004 09:32

I'm sure you're right with that Sam. There were no Parker/Catherine marriages in Essex 1845-1860 on FreeBMD.

Dedrah

Dedrah Report 10 Jul 2004 15:08

Hi everyone, I am stuck with my gggrandparents Isabella Lolly b1811 Blackburn and James Barnes also b Blackburn 1813 I have got all the later info on them marriage where they lived and when they died and where they are buried (in fact went to visit them this morning. BUT I can't find where they were born or who their parents are. The info I have got on their births is from censuses. PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP. thanks Dedrah