Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice on prisons please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Jul 2004 07:52

Thanks to someone doing a look up for me I have my first (known!) criminal - in Reading Gaol in 1851. Can anyone suggest the best way to find out more? Would the County Record Office be able to help? Thanks David

Janet

Janet Report 8 Jul 2004 11:00

You could try the CRO for starters and they will point you in the right direction. I think that most prison records are now in the National Archives at Kew and you could well try their online site to see if they have any info on Reading. www.pro.gov.uk Janet

Chrissy

Chrissy Report 8 Jul 2004 11:28

David all the old Prison records are kept at Kew give them a ring or write, Chrissy.

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Jul 2004 13:20

Hi Janet & Chrissy Thank you both for your help - will see what I can find:) David