Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone work out what this 'cause of death' mig

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Simon

Simon Report 7 Jul 2004 18:07

(see Below)

Simon

Simon Report 7 Jul 2004 18:08

The cause of death on a certificate I've received today is very hard to read, both in terms of the handwriting, and being a medical term. I can only give a vague approximation of it might say, but it looks something like 'Eriplifrelus' - the next bit is easy to read, it says 'after premature labour'. Does anyone know of a natal term that might be what the 'E' word says ? Many thanks Simon

Kim

Kim Report 7 Jul 2004 18:22

http://www.paul_smith.doctors(.)org(.)uk/ArchaicMedicalTerms.htm Checkout this site for medical info. Not sure if yours is there but may give you some clues and isworth bookmarking. The only thing I can think of is Pre-eclampsia which still can be fatal I believe and is extremely high blood pressure. Take out the brackets! Kim

Simon

Simon Report 7 Jul 2004 18:31

Kim and Jean Many thanks for those suggestions. Unfortunately can't find a likely candidate on the doctor site. Looking at the word again, I think it definitely starts with an E and ends in . . elus. It's just the letters in the middle that are a bit of a problem ! I'll keep digging ! Simon

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Jul 2004 19:32

Simon My first thought was erisypelas, which "is an acute streptococcal infectious disease of the skin characterised by fever, headache, vomiting and purplish raised lesions, especially on the face. It is also known as St Anthony's fire." [Collins' English dictionary - millennium edition] But I'm not sure if it is connected to childbirth. Helen

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 7 Jul 2004 19:41

Simon looked on lots of old medical name sites and the nearest I can find is this ERYSIPELAS erysipelas: Contagious infection of the skin and underlying tissue, caused by group A B-hemolytic streptococcus bacteria. Erysipelas causes affected areas of skin to turn bright red and become slightly swollen. The swollen blotches have a distinct border and slowly expand into the surrounding skin. The lesions are most commonly seen on the face, scalp, hands, and legs. They feel hot to the touch and the patient is feverish. Centuries ago erysipelas epidemics caused severe and often fatal infections. Today erysipelas is a rather mild and relatively rare infection that clears up rapidly when penicillin or other antibiotics are taken Don't know if that's helpful or not best wishes Christine

Sandra

Sandra Report 7 Jul 2004 19:58

could it be Encephalitus which is an inflammation of the brain similar I think to mennenghitus(cant spell!) sandra

Simon

Simon Report 7 Jul 2004 22:09

Thanks for all your help. I think it could well be Erysipilas, although as has been said quite how this relates to the premature labour I aren't sure. Unless in a weakened state she was more susceptible to infection etc. Simon

Abigail

Abigail Report 7 Jul 2004 22:34

During pregnancy your immune system is slightly compromised to prevent the body from rejecting the foetus (as half its genetic material is not the mother's it is regarded as "foreign"). She may have caught the infection incidentally and then as a consequence of the illness, extreme high temp, etc, may not have been able to maintain the pregnancy resulting in premature labour. Poor thing. Abigail

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 7 Jul 2004 22:40

If a pregnant woman is very ill, then the baby can be lost. Perhaps her illness caused her to miscarry. A very late miscarriage (after 3 months) might have been termed a premature birth.

Tracy

Tracy Report 13 Jul 2004 23:49

hia i am a nurse myself and have become quite expert at deciphering handwriting, know most terminology and can ask lots of medics in work. can u mail me copy of certificate in a picture email. will do best to translate for you. mail me direct at collitra9at aoldot com