Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

family history societies

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥ Nardia

♥ Nardia Report 7 Jul 2004 00:37

i am seriously considering joining a fhs, but am unsure what one to join. my family that i am researching, are from sussex, but i live in south london, which one would be best. also what can i expect to gain/ achieve from joining. nardia

Jan

Jan Report 7 Jul 2004 01:04

I guess each one has something slightly different to offer. I'm researching in South Shields, but have recently been to the Leics. FSH library. They have GRO records and also some census data for other counties. I'm going to join because it costs £2 a visit for non-members and nothing for members. Membership is less than £10 so it will save me some money! I shall need them when I do hubby's family, anyway. For more input, see Ann from Darlington's thread, or type family history society into the search box at the top of this page. Jan

Linda

Linda Report 7 Jul 2004 01:05

Hi Nardia, I would recommend the Sussex Family History Group - the information and help available from them is invaluable. Take a look at the site at: www.sfhg.org.uk/ I am sure you will find it worthwhile. Good Luck, Linda.

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Jul 2004 09:45

Nardia Your local history society would be useful if you wanted to get to meetings and meet people like yourself. They would also have resources on family history generally which you could use - if they have a library for example, it would be easier for you to go to it than one further away. However, the Sussex one would have information which would help you trace your family. In any case I don't think joining one for a year would cost you very much and after a year you can decide how useful membership is to you. Helen

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 7 Jul 2004 09:53

Nardia I have had help from all over the countery so people must tend to join which area has the most research to do if you see what I mean Ann

Janet

Janet Report 8 Jul 2004 20:21

Helen is right about joining a FHS near you as you can go to meetings and listen to their excellent talks as well as borrowing their books, mags from other counties probably including your own Sussex one as well as obtaining their expertise on all sorts of subjects, and meeting like minded people who often help you. You can also join the Sussex one as well and at a cost of £10 each society is a small price to pay for getting the best of both worlds. I have gained so much knowledge from joining my local one with no apparent Family History interest in this area except that I do borrow their books and mags and get a lot of help generally. I have also joined all the Societies of my own interest. Good luck with your decision. Janet