Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with Name Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Jul 2004 14:57

I have two marriage certificates for the same lady as she was widowed. Her first marriage states her father's name as Javas Edwards, the second as Jabez Edwards. I KNOW this is the same lady. Is Javas and Jabez the same or derivatives of something else (James?). Can anyone help please. Thank you. Gaynor

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 6 Jul 2004 15:01

gaynor i reckon the registrar wrote down what he thought it was with out checking how it was spelt but i could be wrong!! i normally am:( susie i forgot to say thet i think it was probably jabez! as ive come across that name quite a lot on census's susie

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Jul 2004 15:33

Susie Thanks my mate - what sort of name is Jabez then - only joking Gaynor xx

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 6 Jul 2004 15:59

gaynor i think its the same sort as Xenephon!!! ive got one of them in my tree!!!! lol susie

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Jul 2004 17:21

Gaynor Jabez is Biblical and was quite popular in late Victorian times. It means "brought forth in sorrow" but whether that is a reference to labour pains or not, I can't say. My Norfolk grandfather was Jeuel Jabez and his eldest child was called Jabez. I always called him Uncle Jim although my father sometimes called him Jabe. Helen

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Jul 2004 17:32

Gaynor Here is more information than you could possibly want to know, from a website called Jabez Bible Study (seriously!) JABEZ ja'-bez (ya`bets, "sorrow" ("height)): (1) Place: An unidentified town probably in the territory of Judah, occupied by scribes (1Ch 2:55). (2) Person: The head of a family of Judah, noted for his "honorable" character, though "his mother bare him with sorrow" (1Ch 4:9,10), ya`bets being interpreted as if it stood for ya`tsebh, "he causes pain." The same play upon words recurs in his prayer, "that it be not to my sorrow!" His request was granted, "and the sorrow implied by his ominous name was averted by prayer" (Dummelow, in the place cited.). Helen

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Jul 2004 18:10

Helen, Many thanks - you are just wonderful with what you come up with. With my family of plebs (Ag Labs and Gen Labs) I think the word "sorrow" just about sums it all up!!! Thanks again. Gaynor xx