Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry- Born overseas? READ THIS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 5 Jul 2004 21:51

After three years of searching I have finally found my great grandfather on the 1891 census. He was born in France. I tried wading through all the people listed as being born in France with no luck. He had been listed as born in FRA. (His name was mistranscribed as Longueville as well and he'd anglisised his name from Elphege to Alfred) So, how long do you think it'll take to find my grandfather on 1901?

Paul

Paul Report 5 Jul 2004 21:59

What was the proper spelling of the surname? could it have been further anglicised? Paul

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 5 Jul 2004 23:15

The spelling eas and still is Tocqueville. I have had no end ofmisspellings in my lifetime. Tockville, Topfield, Rockville (that one was from an official letter from Buck House) Tokeville (I could go on for days.) You see the problem.

Annie

Annie Report 5 Jul 2004 23:17

I hope it won't take you as long as it's taken me NOT to find my French ancestor on the 1881! what was your grandfather's first name just in case I find him while searching Best wishes A

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 5 Jul 2004 23:28

His name was James Auguste Tocqueville, different certificates give various names though. Marriage certificate James August, his death certificate James Augustus and his widows death certificate James Arthur.Of course he could have been Jim! He was born in Hoxton and at the time of the 1901 he would have been 14. Thank you Janet