Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sad discovery

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 5 Jul 2004 11:35

I had a cousin of my g-grandmother who died in 1871 aged just 17. I was intrigued to see what might have ailed him, so I sent for his death certificate. I did not expect this as the cause of death 'Suicide by shooting head with gun in whatever state of mind,no evidence to show intoxication'!!! I feel quite sad for him, to blow your head off aged only 17. I know from my records that his mother died 2 months later- I wonder if she could not take the grief- I think I will have to send for her cert to find out. I would now like to find out more about this case- there was an inquest held and the coroner signed the death cert, so are coroners records from 1871available today- if so where do I apply. This happened in Somerset. Any advice appreciated??? PS-I just found his grave recently, I think I will go and put some flowers on it, poor lad!! What a waste!!!

Ann

Ann Report 5 Jul 2004 17:41

Thanks Louise, does anyone know which paper would have reported on news from Nailsea, Somerset in 1871? I don't think they had their own paper, but I don't think it would have been included in the Bristol papers either. Any thoughts?

Geoff

Geoff Report 5 Jul 2004 18:38

http://www.gomezsmart.free-online.*co.uk/fabric/somsnews.htm

Penny

Penny Report 5 Jul 2004 18:43

I have a death where an inquest was held and have been told that it was probably reported in the newspapers. Apparently the Collindale Newspaper Library (London way?) has copies of past papers. As I am unable to visit in person I will have to put my own investigations on hold for the time being. Perhaps someone can confirm this is where copies are held for us. Penny

Janet

Janet Report 5 Jul 2004 23:09

The Colindale Newspaper Library at Colindale London does indeed hold every newspaper including free ones for the whole of the country(Wales and Scotland included) They go back to early 1800 and even earlier. There are also many Irish papers available as I have done some Irish research this way.They also hold most magazines like the Gazateer, Punch and others. These are brilliant for accessing info you may want on any topic whatsoever. I have found info on a suicide in my familyin this way. The newspapers are also accessible in every big library and sometimes record offices for the area concerned so big libraries in Somerset would have "Holdings" of all the Somerset papers. Try ringing one of the Somerset Record Offices or access on line to find out what Somerset papers are available. Do not go for a quality paper for this sort of info but go more for the "Chatty"paper. Again I am sure the Record Office in Somerset would help you on this. Colindale is online for info on all its "Holdings". Try Colindale Newspaper Library on a google search. There was no requirement for Coroners Offices to send their reports to Record Offices or even to keep their reports so very few are kept, only about 10% survive but you may be lucky. There is a 75 -100 year rule on access to Coroners Reports. Janet

Ann

Ann Report 6 Jul 2004 09:14

Thank you to everyone who replied. I will keep digging away!!