Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mathematical problem - please help!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Giles

Giles Report 4 Jul 2004 20:59

William got married in January - March 1928, aged 19. What period was he born?? Please show your workings on how to solve this problem! Cheers.

Janice

Janice Report 4 Jul 2004 21:03

Hiya, The way to work it out is to assume first of all that the wedding day was his 19th birthday: that's the youngest he can be if the cert is true. Then assume he is going to be 20 the next day: that's the oldest he can be. Work out these two possible birthdays to get your range. Can't see thee numbers while I'm typing this so I'll leave you to do the arithmetic!! Janice

Valice in

Valice in Report 4 Jul 2004 21:04

1928 - 19 = 1909 if he had had his birthday in the early part of the year when he got married, otherwise would be 1908

Giles

Giles Report 4 Jul 2004 21:16

Thanks for the tip Janice! Since I don't know the wedding day, he could have turned 20 in the same quarter, therefore:- JanMar 1928 - 19 = JanMar 1909 JanMar 1928 - 20 = JanMar 1908 Born Jan 1908 - Mar 1909? IS THIS CORRECT? :)

Annie

Annie Report 4 Jul 2004 21:16

As long as he told the truth about his age! A

Geoff

Geoff Report 4 Jul 2004 23:20

Then there is the 6 weeks allowed for registration at either of the dates ...

Giles

Giles Report 5 Jul 2004 00:46

Thanks for the confirmation! When searching for his birth, I will also take into account the point mentioned by Geoff, meaning if William was born in March then he may not appear registered in the index until the following quarter.