Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ownership of marriage cert....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 4 Jul 2004 06:47

Can somone confirm that the marriage certificate in the past, belonged to the wife rather than the husband? and was this to prove she had married the husband - IF he decided to do a runner? And if so, does this still hold true today?? Thanks Liz

Helen

Helen Report 4 Jul 2004 07:21

I married in 1997 and I remember that the vicar made a big thing of handing the certificate to me, rather than my husband. Can't remember what he said exactly - I was a little distracted at the time. Helen

Judith

Judith Report 4 Jul 2004 07:46

I didn't know this was the custom but historically it makes sense for the wife to hold the proof of marriage as the old settlement rules meant she took the settlement of her husband and so would be entitled to poor relief from his parish, rather than the one where she was born, if they fell on hard times or if he abandoned her. Judith

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Jul 2004 07:53

Well presumably there may have been occasions when the husband needed to prove he was married? But now you mention it, when I married in 1990 the registrar handed ME the certificate. I just thought that was because we women keep all that stuff - my husband wouldn't have a clue where any paperwork relating to me or the kids was. He can't even find the butter in the fridge! Helen

Ann

Ann Report 4 Jul 2004 07:54

We also married in 1997, and the vicar gave the cert to my husband, saying'mind you don't leave it in your suit when you take it back to the hire shop!!!' - obviously he had had that occuring before!!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Jul 2004 08:52

How interesting! I didn't have any idea that the marriage cert could 'belong' to one rather than the other! I couldn't remember our marriage cert being handed over, so I've just asked hubby to cast his mind back 20 years and now it's all come flooding back ...... the cert was actually handed to my dad because they suddenly realised that one of our witnesses (my sister-in-law) was under 18 and therefore unable to be a legal witness. While we were on honeymoon, my dad had to go to the registry office and get it sorted out, but the cert is definitely in our possession now! Mandy :))

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 4 Jul 2004 10:56

Actually it depends how far back you go, prior to 1882 married women didn't own anything and all their possessions became their husbands. Adultery by the husband was not grounds for divorce, only by the wife who was deemed to be the property of the husband. Good old days. Bob

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Jul 2004 11:11

Hi All, Mmmmmmmmmmm - were hubby and I conned or were the registrars just knowledgeable about what the future may bring? We had a very private and very small wedding (4 of us in total !!!) - 6 if you include the 2 registrars back in 2000. They told us it would be wise to get 2 certificates - which we did and paid extra - and guess what - we were given one each. I know where mine is - haven't a clue where hubby's is :-)) Gaynor

Anne

Anne Report 4 Jul 2004 12:54

I went to a wedding recetly when the 'signing' bit took ages because the bride (a lawyer!!) had asked that they each have a certificate! Anne

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 4 Jul 2004 18:12

i married in 1999 for the second time(i was a widow) the registrar gave the certificate to me and told my husband "sorry this certificate belongs to your wife" he had put his hand out to take it from her.we had a laugh about it later but his face was a picture when she handed it to me, sue

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 4 Jul 2004 18:37

It has been the case throughout my family that the ORIGINAL certificate belongs to the bride. any further purchases are incidental......and are only copies of an entry in the GRO register. Bob

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 5 Jul 2004 19:28

Thanks for all your replies - certainly makes interesting reading. Think will tell hubby to buy his own!! Sorry, I have not thanked you all before, but had a migrane yesterday. Better now tho. Thanks again Liz