Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help - postive I have a found family member

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nichola

Nichola Report 3 Jul 2004 13:17

On GENUKI I have found a William Leaf on the directory of trades and professions for 1890 in the Thornton Dale Parish. Unfortunately it doesnt state his age or address. His occupation was tailor and draper in Farmanby. The reason I think he is related is that the Family name is Leaf, my research shows that between 1732 and 1816 we had many family members that were born in Thornton. I only have one child to John Leaf (born 1732) and Mary Forester (born 1731). Who was Robert born 1758. I therefore think that William is related to either John's or Robert's brother. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Sandra

Sandra Report 3 Jul 2004 15:57

hope this might help on 1891 census at 23 Pickering road Thornton Dale william leaf age 33 Draper & Taylor born Great Ayton Yorks Mary a leaf age 36 wife born Edstone yorks sandra

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Jul 2004 15:58

If you are positive, you don't need help. But I don't think you are positive. Leaf is uncommon, but another relative or a stranger with the same name could have moved into Thornton. Can you find William on the censuses and match him up with the Leafs you know of, and how do you know that these Leafs (leaves!) are connected to you? Helen

Nichola

Nichola Report 3 Jul 2004 19:35

I have now got information for 1881 and 1891 but struggling to find information about 1871 as to whom his parents are to be able to link them to my family tree. My other lead is that he was a tailor, and I have information that some of the decendants to the Leaf's in my tree were also tailors. Surely it cant be coinsidence.

Sandra

Sandra Report 3 Jul 2004 19:53

only thornton residents named leaf on 1871 are Name Age in 1871 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County/Island View Census? Alice Leaf 46 Thornton, Yorkshire, England Boarder St Mary Bishopshill Senior Yorkshire Elizebeth Leaf 54 Thornton, Yorkshire, England Boarder St Mary Bishopshill Senior Yorkshire sandra

Nichola

Nichola Report 3 Jul 2004 20:39

I have an Alice Leaf born 1816 in Thornton which means she would be 55 in 1971 and Elizabeth Leaf born 1811 in Thornton which means she would be 60. I obtained this information from familyserach.

Nichola

Nichola Report 3 Jul 2004 20:42

Maybe they are related somehow.

Sandra

Sandra Report 3 Jul 2004 21:05

ages are often wrong on the census people sometimes are not sure or sometimes fibbed, we wouldnt do that now would we!!! sandra