Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

i think ive found my grandparents

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Louise

Louise Report 3 Jul 2004 13:16

i went on 1837 and the only marriage with the same surname (wifes)as the one (mothers maiden name)i think ive found on my birth mothers birth register (who im also looking for) was in 1929, how do i go about finding the woman of the 1929 marriages first name and if its the right name that matches the name i have how do i find out if they had any children (which if its the right people they had 3)

Stan

Stan Report 3 Jul 2004 14:06

Hi Louise The only way to find the full names for a marriage is the certificate, unless you know it was in a Church or Chapel and can find where their records are deposited and consult them. The only way to search for children is to go through the register (in main libraries or 1837online) quarter by quarter, to look for the surname with correct mother's maiden name. If you find a child, and the names are relatively uncommon, so you are pretty sure it is an entry you are seeking, you may be able to skip a few quarters, since births less than eleven months apart are extremely unlikely. Regards Stan

Louise

Louise Report 3 Jul 2004 14:34

Thankyou stan for your help louisexx

Helen

Helen Report 3 Jul 2004 15:49

If I understand you correctly, you have found the groom's name? This gives you the surname of his bride. If you look under the bride's surname in the same quarter and year as you already have for the groom, you should find the bride. The registration district, volume and page refs will be the same. Then do like Stan suggests and peruse the birth index for the children.