Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

An elusive frenchman

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbara

Barbara Report 3 Jul 2004 10:55

My great grandmothers' first husband was born in Paris with a french mother and an English or Irish father with the surname of Darmody. He married my g. grandmother and had a daughter and I then lose track of him. My g. grandmother subsequently remarried but I can find no trace of that mrriage as yet. The daughters marriage certificate in 1912 shows that her father is deceased. If he had been born in France I presume he would have had french or dual citizenship. If he died in this country would his death have to be registered here if he was French? If he died in France does anyone know how I could trace his date of death there. Any information would be appreciated

Annie

Annie Report 3 Jul 2004 11:09

Hi I can't help you much but I have some ancestors who were French naturals and died in Uk. All their deaths are registered. In respect of French records I've only been able to find mine where I knew the region as records are available from the equivalent of Town Halls. You can order records of french census and church BMD from the Latterday Saints to view at their research centres, but you would have to know the area. Someone else might be able to offer some better advice hopefully. Best wishes Ann

Barbara

Barbara Report 3 Jul 2004 14:15

Hi Ann Thanks for that help. Unfortunately I have no idea which region of France he may have come from or returned to, so I will try looking on 1837 in the hope I can find him there if he died in this country. Regards Barbara

Annie

Annie Report 3 Jul 2004 15:24

What was his first name in case I ever encounter him in passing? Highly unlikey, but you never know ... Ah - sorry, I just typed the surname in the quick search box and found Marie Louis - for this is him? A

Barbara

Barbara Report 3 Jul 2004 15:29

Annie He was known as Louis but his full name was Marie Louis Francis Darmody and his father was Frederick William Darmody. A long shot but you never know!!!!! Thanks Barbara

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 3 Jul 2004 17:44

My french g grandfather had a death certificate.I think even in those days a death certificate would have been needed for burial.