Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where did they go???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JackieInCardiff

JackieInCardiff Report 2 Jul 2004 22:38

Hi. Hit a big brick wall. GEORGE HENRY PACKHAM, born 24th May 1862 in Balcombe, Sussex. His parents were George and Eliza Packham (previously Smith, formerly Barnet. Found Eliza's previous marrriage to Stephen Smith, but not her marriage to George Packham) Cannnot find any trace of this family on 1871 or 1881 census!Any way!! George Henry Packham married Annie Maria Best in Brighton on 12th April 1884. No trace of this family on 1891 census!!! George and Annie Maria finally turn up in 1901 census in Llwynypia, Glamorgan with there 7 children! Where did they hide during Census nights? Any help would be great! Jackie

Nichola

Nichola Report 2 Jul 2004 23:15

Try posting a message on the records board for help.

Geoff

Geoff Report 2 Jul 2004 23:56

As there were so many George Packhams from Sussex, how can you be sure you have the right Birth Cert?

Smiley

Smiley Report 3 Jul 2004 00:09

I am trying to help you but I cannot even see them in 1901! Were they mis-transcribed? There are no Packham's in Llwynypia, Glamorgan I would like to know where Annie was born, and where the children were born also Sam

JackieInCardiff

JackieInCardiff Report 3 Jul 2004 00:12

Hi Geoff On George Henry Packham and Annie Maria Best marriage certificate it gives his fathers name as George Packham, occ gardener. Marriage was witnessed by Eliza Packham (whom i'm assuming is his mother) Therefore I sent away for George Henry's Packham's birth certificate. The 1901 census gave me his place of birth. I hope i have the right one! Jackie

JackieInCardiff

JackieInCardiff Report 3 Jul 2004 00:17

Hi Sam In 1901 they were in 16 Cambrian Terrace, Llywnypia, Glamorgan. piece folio page RG13 5016 60 14 Annie Maria Best was born in Topsham, Devon Jackie

JackieInCardiff

JackieInCardiff Report 3 Jul 2004 00:21

Sam Sorry Should have said the civil parish is Ystradyfodwg, County is Glamorganshire Jackie

Smiley

Smiley Report 3 Jul 2004 00:23

I see them now, I'm using the decoder, it says Glamorganshire, I only put in Glamorgan, and the civil parish is Ystradyfodwg, no mention of the place you said. That must be on the image, but not on the search return. Sam

Smiley

Smiley Report 3 Jul 2004 00:49

BINGO.... They were in Wales in 1891 also, living with relatives of Annie, email me and I'll send you the image Best, Sarah 33 Newport, Monmouthshire Wife Ystradyfodwg Glamorgan Best, Henry 34 Topshaw, Devon Head Ystradyfodwg Glamorgan Best, George 10 Llivynpia, Glamorgan Son Ystradyfodwg Glamorgan Best, Eliza 8 Llivynpia, Glamorgan Daughter Ystradyfodwg Glamorgan Best, Charles 7 Glyncoragw, Glamorgan Son Ystradyfodwg Glamorgan Best, Sarah A 7 Glyncoragw, Glamorgan Daughter Ystradyfodwg Glamorgan Best, Richard 1 Glamorgan, Ireland Son Ystradyfodwg Glamorgan Packem, Georg 29 Cuckfield, Essex Brother-in-law Ystradyfodwg Glamorgan Packem, Annie 25 Topsham, Devon Sister-in-law Ystradyfodwg Glamorgan Packem, George 6 Brighton, Essex Nephew Ystradyfodwg Glamorgan Packem, Annie 3 Brighton, Essex Niece Ystradyfodwg Glamorgan Packem, Marid 1 Brighton, Essex Daughter Ystradyfodwg Glamorgan (Marid, is Maria on the image, and a Niece not a daughter) WOW! Hope it was a big house Best wishes Sam

Smiley

Smiley Report 3 Jul 2004 08:53

Still poking around Jackie, I noticed your post on the DEVON thread, asking about Annie Maria's parents & twin brother Richard. I see in 1901 Annies mother (calling herself Maria) & twin were in Ystradyfodwg, Glamorganshire too. Richard BEST 36 1865 Devon Topsham Ystradyfodwg Glamorganshire Stationery Engine Driver Julia BEST 36 1865 Dorset East Stour Ystradyfodwg Glamorganshire Elizabeth BEST 15 1886 Glamorgan Llwynypia Ystradyfodwg Glamorganshire ___________________________________________________ George BEST 42 1859 S Devon Dutty Soalan Ystradyfodwg Glamorganshire Ostler Above Ground Maria BEST 68 1833 S Devon Topsham Ystradyfodwg Glamorganshire Maybe Annie's father had died by then. Also still in Glam are Henry & Sarah Best and children, the family Annie & George Packham were living with in '91, I presume Henry is Annies brother Sam

Smiley

Smiley Report 3 Jul 2004 09:12

Here is Annie Maria in 1881 (tell me to be quiet if I'm overloading you!) James LEWIS Head M Male 70 Pontypool, Monmouth, England Coalminer (Unemployed) Rachel LEWIS Wife M Female 60 Pontypool, Monmouth, England Coalminer Wife James LEWIS Son U Male 17 Mountain Ash, Glamorgan, Wales Coal Miner David LEWIS Son U Male 15 Abercarne Coal Miner John EDWARDS Lodger U Male 25 Tredegar Coal Miner Thomas BIELE Lodger U Male 28 Worcester, Worcester, England Coal Miner Annie BEST Servant U Female 15 Topsham, Devon, England Servant (Domestic) 9 Llwynypia Terrace Ystradyfodwg, Glamorgan, Wales

Smiley

Smiley Report 3 Jul 2004 09:49

Here are Annies parents in 1891, mis-transcribed as BIST Bist, Ann Maria 58 Topsham, Devon Wife Ystradyfodwg Glamorgan Bist, Eliza Jane 29 Topsham, Devon Daughter Ystradyfodwg Glamorgan Bist, George 62 Budleigh, Devon Head Ystradyfodwg Glamorgan Bist, Georgina Maria 4 Trealan, Glamorgan Grandaughter Ystradyfodwg Glamorgan Bist, Richard George 25 Topsham, Devon Son Ystradyfodwg Glamorgan