Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

IGI records on LDS site

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Martin

Martin Report 2 Jul 2004 14:22

Hi, Silly question..but here goes... I found a IGI record on the LDS familysearch site of an ancestors marriage. I would now like to see more details (if there are any) regarding this record. How do I do it ? Is it downloadable (perhaps for a cost) ? Thanks Martin

Katwin

Katwin Report 2 Jul 2004 14:31

Hi Martin, Not downloadable, but if the marriage took place in a London Parish then a copy will be available from the LMA, otherwise the County Records Office will hold it on film. If you click on the Source at the bottom of the page on the IGI section of the LDS site, you should be able to find who holds the parish records. The parish records probably won't give any more information that given by the LDS site, apart from witnesses and occupation. Old records are quite scanty. Depends when the marriage took place. Kathy

Geoff

Geoff Report 2 Jul 2004 14:32

The record you have found on IGI is probably (but not necessarily) somthing copied from a parish register. The register would also have the names of two witnesses to the marriage who may, or not, be family. Fathers' names only appeared after official registration started (1837). Parish registers are held in the local county Records Office. I'm not sure if the LDS centres can get hold of copies or not.

Sarah

Sarah Report 2 Jul 2004 14:33

Hi Martin, to view the record I believe you have to go to one of the LDS research centres but I'm not 100% sure. There is a facility on the website to find the one nearest to you and it gives the opening times etc. Found one local to me but hav'nt been able to get there as yet. Failing that you could ask someone with Ancestry access to see if they can find out what you need, or send for the marriage cert. Hope this helps.

Martin

Martin Report 2 Jul 2004 14:42

Folks, Thanks for your responses.. The marriage took place before 1837 so I wouldn't be able to order the cert. unfortunately...it did take place in London so probably held by the LMA then I hope... Just wondering how you ever get any further before 1837, if for example my family moved to London from some other part of the country, how the heck do I get where they originated from, other than whats already on IGI...is it the end of the road ? Regards Martin

Katwin

Katwin Report 2 Jul 2004 14:57

Martin, Have you tried looking for the christening/birth on the IGI? This will give the parents' names. You will need to guess at the age at marriage for an approximate year of birth. What parish of London did the marriage take place? Kathy

Martin

Martin Report 2 Jul 2004 15:08

Hello Kathy, I have the marriage on the IGI. It takes place in Bethnal Green, 1836 between Samuel Etherton and Mary Hannah Rogers... My problem is that I can't get them on any census's so I don't know Samuels age / place of birth. I was hoping if I got the parish record for their marriage I might get the fathers name and Samuels age. Then I might be able to tie this to another entry I had seen for a birth of a Samuel Etherton in 1810... but without the tie then I would just be guessing / hoping that this was him. I think I have found Samuels death in 1860 and have applied for the cert already. It might be that this gives me an age, but there would still be no connection to place of birth...if the ages do tie up then at least I could say.. Same name, right age, born in similar place..ie London... could be my man...but there might be a nagging doubt there somewhere ! -- END OF RAMBLE -- Anyone know if an address is given on Death certs..that might help me get him on a census ??

Katwin

Katwin Report 2 Jul 2004 15:19

Martin, The death certificate would give the place of death. A copy from the parish record of the marriage can be obtained from the Bancroft Library in Stepney (for a fee of about 50 pence) who hold all the records on film for the London Borough of Tower Hamlets (covering Bethnal Green, etc). Telephone 020 8980 4366 and ask for the Local History Librarian. You could also ask for the copy of the baptism/christening at the same time which will give the parents' names and take you back another generation. I have also obtained a marriage record from 1836 and 1818 but no parents were given. Maybe you will be luckier than me. Kathy

Martin

Martin Report 2 Jul 2004 15:26

Many thanks for your help Kathy, I'll contact the library and see if they would be willing to send me the details... Regards Martin

Katwin

Katwin Report 2 Jul 2004 15:41

Martin, Lynda Pace is running a thread on the Records Board for lookups on the 1851 and 1861 London Census. She has a partial surnames index. Have you tried asking her for a lookup? Kathy

Martin

Martin Report 2 Jul 2004 15:49

Kathy, Thanks for the tip....I just put a request on the thread... Regards Martin

Katwin

Katwin Report 2 Jul 2004 16:04

Martin, Have hit a brickwall with my own ancestors, so wondered if you know how to do a Batch Number search on the IGI to find siblings from a christening record? The batch number for your Samuel Etherton born 1810 is C067053. You just type in Etherton (no first name) and the Batch Number and up will come all the other Ethertons who were baptised at St Lukes in Chelsea. Just click on the names to make sure they have the same parents (which they do have, because I have already looked). He has a brother and sister. If you already know about this, then perhaps it will help someone else. Regards, Kathy