Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help im lost!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Victoria

Victoria Report 1 Jul 2004 17:41

i am having trouble with my grandfather all i know is his name and that he possibly died before my dad was born so he might not even be my grandfater but need to trace this info i have his marriage cert in 1927 aged 39 name thomas bray father james bray in battersea but there are lots of thomas brays in the birth index for the years 1888, 1887 and i cant get all the certificate haved tried the 1901 census but had no joy also tried the 1891 census (thanks to ruth) i have searched through 10 years of deaths but no matches near his age. can any one please come up with where to go next. i wish i was a medium and could ask my nan as no one else can help

Flossie

Flossie Report 1 Jul 2004 19:02

Hi I wish I could help. Good idea about being a medium. Perhaps we should get a medium to do a guest slot on here and we could all ask questions. LOl

Brenda

Brenda Report 1 Jul 2004 19:17

did it state their occupations on the marriage cert sometimes certain occupations might be associated with certain areas. could help with a search on the 1901 too. sorry not to be more help brenda

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Jul 2004 19:21

Hi Victoria I've just done a search on FreeBMD for the years 1887-1889, and only one Thomas Bray came up in the London area: 3rd quarter 1887 Thomas Bray PANCRAS vol 1b page 190 Of course, just because he married in London doesn't mean he was born there, but it might be a start. Good luck, Mandy :)

Victoria

Victoria Report 1 Jul 2004 19:23

MANDY thanks for you help found that thomas and cross ref him in the 1901 census his father not james. my nan was from cornwall but that doesnt mean he was he could have come from anywhere thanks though

Victoria

Victoria Report 1 Jul 2004 19:26

BRENDA thomas occupation seems to say buffet counter hand and his dad is pensioned something or other cant read it had one cert that 70 odd years old and is written in block so easy to read i wish they were all like that

Victoria

Victoria Report 1 Jul 2004 19:28

BRENDA if you can make more sense of the 1901 census then by all means look for me please love the fact that every one is so nice on here

Victoria

Victoria Report 1 Jul 2004 19:29

GILLIAN my step mother is a medium i say she more a large lol but not sure a medium would help my nan had a habit of beating round the bush and never giving you a straight answer are all nans like this?

Brenda

Brenda Report 1 Jul 2004 20:03

hello again i am only using the decoder on 1901 there is james bray 54 liverpool thomas bray 15 liverpool and james bray 48 lambeth thomas bray 16 lambeth i know the ages might be a bit out but my gt grandmother had aged by 5 yrs on the 1901!

Victoria

Victoria Report 1 Jul 2004 20:28

BRENDA YOU ARE A STAR WILL LOOK NOW XXXXXXXXXXXXX