Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry - Help please???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lucky

Lucky Report 1 Jul 2004 15:29

Can anybody help me please. I have from another site, transcriptions of an ancestor 1851/1891 in Blackwell, Worcs. (sometimes Glos,Warks) I have found him on family search 1881. I went onto Ancestry fully expecting to get at least 1891 image, maybe 1871 too. I already found him on 1901 site. I can find no trace of him on 1891 at all on Ancestry. I have even found the piece number still nothing. Transcription I have for 1891 is : Geden Timothy 46 ag lab wife Anne 38, children William 14, Alfred 12, Robert 10, Albert E 1. All born Blackwell, Worcs. Am I going mad??/ Any help please Thanks Diane

Zoe

Zoe Report 1 Jul 2004 17:09

Diane Ive checked 1891 for EVERYOE born in Blackwell (151 hits) or Glos* (29 hits) and noe of the family groupings look likely to be them.

Lucky

Lucky Report 1 Jul 2004 17:28

Thanks for looking. I don't know what to think, they are obviously not complete index's on there. I only have until the end of the month on my subscription. Seriously thinking I won't renew. Cheers Diane

David

David Report 1 Jul 2004 17:44

The index might be complete and your family was not on the census at all! My gg grandparents were very shy of census enumerators - I can only find them on one census, and they lived in the same village all their lives, with their children all being born in the village. The whole family just disappeared at census time.

Lucky

Lucky Report 1 Jul 2004 18:34

Thanks again for looking. They should definately be there as I have the census entries for them 1851/91 from Gordon Beavingtons census transcriptions. I wouldn't mind, but bless him, he stayed in one place the whole time. Maybe Ancestry should concentrate on at least getting the 1891 completed before putting bits of everything else on. It's definately weird Diane

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Jul 2004 19:26

Diane, hope a little funny Ancestry story might cheer you up?!!! I knew that my mum's family were Plymouth folk and found them on the 1891 census; however, couldn't find them on the 1901 census (completely forgot that Devonport was separate to Plymouth), so asked my mum where she thought they might have been. Well, says she, knowing my gran, she might have told the census chappie to 'b****r off and mind your own b****y business' when he came knocking at the door LOL. I can understand your frustration and hope that you manage to find your folks. Mandy :)

Smiley

Smiley Report 2 Jul 2004 08:09

Just out of interest Anne, I was looking for any other clues so how were they transcribed in 1881, I cannot see Timothy Geden at all, nor Anne Geden. Sam

Geoff

Geoff Report 2 Jul 2004 08:28

Sam - I just found them on 1881 as GADEN.

Smiley

Smiley Report 2 Jul 2004 08:34

Thanks Geoff, it didn't give me that, I'm surprised as it does give spelling variations. Sam

Lucky

Lucky Report 2 Jul 2004 11:06

Hi When I started researching this line (my maiden name is Geden) it was a total pain. If you put Geden into family search it comes up with stuff like Giddings etc., it's only when you put Gaden in that most of my "lot" come up. My direct line is from Timothy's brother Amos, infortunately I can't get an awful lot on him as he died young and missed several census. But unfortunately the name is a pain with up to 12 variations I have found so far. Thanks for looking Diane

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Jul 2004 11:16

What is the piece number Diane? Have you tried putting that in? I had a problem with the page numbers on ancestry. When I clicked to see the image it didn't show me the right page so I had to scroll through to get to the right page.

Lucky

Lucky Report 2 Jul 2004 13:54

Hi Jo, I did get the piece number from the pro site put it in and nothing. Interestingly, I found Tredington pieces not yet transcribed for both Warks and Glos. I looked at these pages too. No joy. They must be on it somewhere, it makes you wonder how many others are lost. Diane