Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

copy and paste

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Melvyn

Melvyn Report 29 Jun 2004 21:01

Why can i not copy of my census cd and paste to an email i have tried but it will not work instead of going blue when i highlight it, it goes black. Help please

Melvyn

Melvyn Report 29 Jun 2004 21:56

oh sorry that is what i mean silly me

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 29 Jun 2004 22:07

Melvyn I have never able to do this, so waiting for some expert advice! I have always had to print the page, scan it, then send as attachment. Hope someone can help us both! Kim

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 29 Jun 2004 22:11

Hello Can anyone let me know how to print an email census page I have received. It only prints half of the page. What should I be doing? Thank you shirley

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 29 Jun 2004 22:12

Suggestion, open an email, minimise it, then find the article you want to send,..........highlight it by left clicking and dragging from the top, to the bottom words.now RIGHT click, on somewhere in the highlight,and select COPY. go to your open email, and in the text section right click, select paste, and it SHOULD appear in the text area..........add whatever else you wish to say, and then send it. try it....see if it works...... Bob Ps I have just done the sequence, and sent the above, to melvin,oops or was it kim?

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 29 Jun 2004 23:16

Bob :-) It was me Kim! Keeping it, andd printing it off Cheers doll! Kim

Penny

Penny Report 29 Jun 2004 23:25

hi melvyn i asked the same question a few days ago, and a nice man sent the following message to me and it works. If you can't save an image directly from the census software, then try this - (1) Make sure that the window showing the image is active (i.e. that the title bar at the top of the window is dark blue) (2) Hold down the "Alt" key and at the same time press the "Print scrn" key (which is usually near the top right corner of the keyboard). (3) Open your picture-editing software (eg Photoshop, or if you don't have a program like this then you can use the one which comes with Windows, called "Paint", which is under Accessories) (4) In the picture-editing software, select Edit then Paste. (5) This should create an image of the first window in your picture software. Then, select "Save as" to name and save the file (you may need to change the file-type to "JPG", which is probably the best format to save it in). Note that this will create a JPG of the entire window, including the window border. If you feel adventurous, you can "crop" this from the image before you save - refer to the help info for your picture software for this, as they're all different. If you can see it on your screen, then you can save it to disk!! This works for any Windows program. But - what you see is what you get, i.e. if you have zoomed right in, you will only get that part of the image in your JPG file. hope this helps penny

Geoff

Geoff Report 29 Jun 2004 23:39

If the above procedure doesn't work, you may need (3a) "File" then "New"

Deborah

Deborah Report 30 Jun 2004 02:18

Hi Melvyn, Some census cd's are 'protected' so you cannot copy them. Noteably those purchased from Archive CD Books. These are the only ones I cannot send on to people. To see if your copy is 'protected' - with the cd in the drive - click on 'file'. From the drop down you will find something like 'document properties, or just properties. This will give you a list of what document restrictions have been added. Debbie

Steven

Steven Report 30 Jun 2004 07:38

Most of my Census and Directories are from Archive Cd Books and i have not had any trouble printing from or copying and sending images from thier CD's. They do encourage you to print from thier CD's for your own research. I make sure i can see the image i want, then click the snapshot icon which is at the top of the page, then put the curser at the corner of the image then drag it down diagonally to the opposite corner, then open up paint or any other image software go to edit and click paste and the image appears. Then you can do what you want to it. Steve.