Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I find CANADIAN marriage circa 1930/1940(I

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 29 Jun 2004 10:25

How do I go about looking for a marriage in Toronto in the above timescale - are there any kind Canadians out there that could do a look up for me on a site which is equivalent to freebmd or 1837.com? I am also looking for a death. Thanking you in anticipation Janet xxx

Sandra

Sandra Report 1 Jul 2004 05:45

I wish there was a way to get more recent vital stats for Ontario but they are very strict about privacy acts. Other than the years I have listed below, you must know the actual date of marriage and apply for certificate providing all kinds of information including your relationship to people you want the information on. This is what is currently available to general public. Office of the Registrar General of Ontario for: Births: 1869-1906 Marriages: c. 1801-1921 (Note: There are many gaps in pre-1869 marriage records) Deaths: 1869-1931 All of these records are publicly available on microfilm. Another year of records is sent annually to the Archives. These are restricted until they have been made available on microfilm. The latest transfer (1907 births, 1922 marriages, 1932 deaths) is being filmed and will be available some time in 2004. For more recent registrations, you must contact the Office of the Registrar General. Good Luck Sandra

Janet

Janet Report 1 Jul 2004 22:06

Thanks for your help Sandra. The sad thing about this is that I have actually traced the family of the people in this marriage they are my Grandfathers younger brothers descendants. I have asked them for details but they do not appear to want to help me. I have over 400 people on my tree and this is the first time I have found an actual blood tie and there is no response. Janet xxx

Brenda

Brenda Report 1 Jul 2004 22:21

that is sad i have made some wonderful contacts through tracing my family history on my fathers side and when i actually traced someone who was related in australia they never replied again. maybe one day they will want to. maybe theyll get bitten by the bug. i just get so excited when someone gets in touch. brenda x

Sandra

Sandra Report 3 Jul 2004 04:17

Hi Janet & Brenda I have first cousins whom I have asked information from and although they say they will get back to me, I have waited and waited and still nothing. My one remaining paternal Aunt has an album with pictures of my Dad as a youngster and other pictures that I do not have and I have asked repeatedly for a scan of them or to have them copied and 2 yrs later I still do not have them. I don't understand the reluctance to help. It does not take that much time. These same cousins lament that they cannot understand why the research on their husband's family does not get shared with them. Too bad they cannot see they are perhaps the reason!!! Good luck with your hunts Sandra