Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

need help! Please!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 26 Jun 2004 14:59

I have just found some info. I know it is connected to my great grandmother Elizabeth Miriam Burnett born c. 1881 We have a photo of war grave and I have found from the war graves commision that he was Henry George Burnett, died 07/06/1944 age 33. He was the son of Thomas Burnett and Frances ? and husband of Matilda Mary Ann ? (only have married names of ladies). They lived at the time of his death in Dagenham but there will also be a connection with Aberdeen in Scotland. I have tried free BMD and Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints but had no luck (I'm new to all this, so may have missed something). Anyone got any ideas where to find more info.

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Jun 2004 15:05

Sandra The reason you have had no luck with LDS and FreeBMD is that they aren't too hot on the 20th century. FreeBMD is catching up, but LDS info is really more useful for Victorian times and before. I would suggest as you know Henry's exact date of death that you try to find his birth certificate. This should be in the GRO indexes at the Family Record Centre London, and also on microfiche at your nearest decent library/family history centre. Henry's birth certificate will give both parents' names, including his mother's maiden name, so you should then be able to find their wedding certificate. They should also be on the 1901 census. I am off to the 1881 census to see if I can find Elizabeth. Back soon! Helen

Zoe

Zoe Report 26 Jun 2004 15:08

Sandra I'm not clear what you're trying to find - are you trying to connect the grave to Elizabeth Burnett? Have you found Elizabeth and her family in any census? Zoe

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Jun 2004 15:10

Sandra This may be Elizabeth and her family on the 1881 census - her name and age fit and her father's name seems to be the same as your war hero. Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability Henry Geo. BURNETT Head M Male 29 Poplar, Middlesex, England Gen Lab Hannah M. BURNETT Wife M Female 27 Wapping, Middlesex, England Hannah M. BURNETT Dau Female 7 Poplar, Middlesex, England Scholar Henry J. BURNETT Son Male 5 Poplar, Middlesex, England Scholar Thomas W. BURNETT Son Male 2 Poplar, Middlesex, England Elizabeth M. BURNETT Dau Female 1 m Bromley, Middlesex, England Source Information: Dwelling 27 Fawe St Census Place London, Middlesex, England Family History Library Film 1341111 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 499 / 95 Page Number 43 Helen

Zoe

Zoe Report 26 Jun 2004 15:17

I have that same family in 1891: actual page says Elizabeth MA not WA and Homer is Thomas: Burnett, Edward 3.12 Poplar, London Son Bromley St Leonard London Burnett, Elizabeth W A 10 Poplar, London Daughter Bromley St Leonard London Burnett, Hannah M 37 Bromley, London Wife Bromley St Leonard London Burnett, Hannah M 17 Poplar, London Daughter Bromley St Leonard London Burnett, Henry G 40 Poplar, London HEAD Bromley St Leonard London - Stevedore Burnett, Henry J 15 Poplar, London Son Bromley St Leonard London Burnett, Homer W 12 Poplar, London Son Bromley St Leonard London Burnett, William 6 Poplar, London Son Bromley St Leonard London

Zoe

Zoe Report 26 Jun 2004 15:25

and in 1901: Elizabeth Burnell 20 Poplar, London, England Daughter Bromley London Jane Burnell 11 Poplar, London, England Daughter Bromley London Sarah Burnell 6 Poplar, London, England Daughter Bromley London Thomas Burnell 22 Poplar, London, England Son Bromley London William Burnell 14 Poplar, London, England Son Bromley London Hannah Burnett 46 Poplar, London, England Wife Bromley London Henry G Burnett 50 Poplar, London, England Head Bromley London James Burnett 24 Poplar, London, England Son Bromley London

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 26 Jun 2004 19:59

Just looked here to see if I could offer any help.All I can do is confirm that Fawe Street is in Poplar and is still there.I used to work there as a nanny.