Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with Cookies (I think)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nancy

Nancy Report 26 Jun 2004 14:14

I'm having trouble getting on to the UKonline site and it's been suggested that it might be my cookies preventing this. When I try to get on I type in web.ukonline(.)co.uk/sheila.jones/strays1/htm and then press on the strays I want. When I click on this I get the message 'Page cannot be found' and at the bottom it says 'HTTP 404 File not found'. I have deleted my cookies but it hasn't made any difference. I do have a Kerio firewall and wondered if this might be the problem. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you, Nancy.

Brenda

Brenda Report 26 Jun 2004 15:40

hi nancy i dont know if this will help or not i did have a similar problem. go to tools in the top menu bar and choose internet options. ckick on the privacy tab and lower the setting it might be set too high to let certain sites have access. brenda x

Judy

Judy Report 26 Jun 2004 16:33

Fixing “Website Can’t Be Found” and other Site Error Messages More than likely you have trouble with accessing quite a few sites.....particularly getting the message "website can't be found" among a few other error messages. Try the following and it should solve your problem. 1. Go to START. 2. Click on CONTROL PANEL. 3. Click on INTERNET OPTIONS. 4. Change NUMBER OF DAYS TO KEEP IN HISTORY to “0” and click APPLY 5. A box appears with tabs labeled across the top. Click on ADVANCED. 6. Scroll down to the sub-heading SECURITY. 7. Make sure the following has check marks next to it: Use USE SSL 2.0, USE SSL 3.0 and USE TLS 1.0. 8. Also make sure you check off EMPTY TEMPORARY INTERNET FILE WHEN BROWSER IS CLOSED. More than likely USE TLS 1.0 is not checked of and it should be. This will give you the error messages, as well as a few others, that will prevent you from viewing web sites and the error you are getting. Make sure you empty your cookies cache as well as temporary internet files once in a while, too, as this slows down your computer as well as saves the "error" message. (See Tips Board, Thread "1 Stop Routine PC Maintance.")

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Jun 2004 20:40

Hi Nancy, Glad to see you got the help you needed, I'm sorry that I couldn't help you other than point you in this direction ...but I have printed this thread out and hopefully will be able to help myself as well as others now. Thanks to both Brenda & Judy. Elaine :-)

Nancy

Nancy Report 27 Jun 2004 12:11

Hi Brenda & Judy, Thank you for responding to my delema. Unfortunately, I have done both things that you've suggested and it's still not letting me access the page. Do you think it could be the firewall? Nancy.

Brenda

Brenda Report 27 Jun 2004 16:18

oops a bit too technical for me i must admit my son told me what to do. i do believe firewalls only stop certain material getting through wouldnt have thought it would stop you accessing sites but i dont really know. sorry brenda

Brenda

Brenda Report 27 Jun 2004 16:20

just another thought nancy what site are u trying to access that address look a bit iffy to me. brenda

Brenda

Brenda Report 27 Jun 2004 16:28

how about this-------- http://web(.)ukonline(.)co(.)uk/sheila(.)jones/ppp(.)htm do you not add addresses to your favourites list. this would mean they would all be stored for you and you wouldnt have to keep typing in addresses. brenda

Nancy

Nancy Report 27 Jun 2004 18:46

Hi Brenda, I do set addresses to my favourites but I've not been on that page before so it wasn't yet a favourite, and doesn't look like it will ever be. I've tried the address you've given and I can get onto that but I can't find the page I wanted, which was the strays page. Thank you for your help. Regards, Nancy.

Nancy

Nancy Report 28 Jun 2004 23:34

Hi Everyone, Just thought I'd let you know that the problem has been sorted. It wasn't my computer after all. I've been in touch with Sheila Jones and she tells me the page was disbanded over a year ago but some search engines are still giving links to the page and shouldn't be. Thank you to everyone that has helped me. Regards, Nancy.

Pat

Pat Report 29 Jun 2004 00:01

Hi Nancy. Try going to Google, type in ukonline+sheila+jones. I have just tried that and got in that way. Good luck, Pat in Australia.