Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Are these my great great grandparents - opinions

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Martin

Martin Report 24 Jun 2004 10:43

I am trying to find out about my great great grandparents. I know their names were Henry Richard Keats and Mary Anne Dilley, although I have no birth dates for either of them. They had a daughter Louisa Keats who was born on 3 October 1856 in Clerkenwell. According to her marriage certificate her father, Henry was a jeweller by trade. Listed in the 1881 census there was a Mary Anne Dilley born 1842 (aged 39), in Bristol who was married to a Henry Keates born 1841 (aged 40) Malmesbury Wilts, occupation jeweller, both living in Meredith Street, London. There is a Meredith Street in the Finsbury area not far from Clerkenwell. Are these my grandparents? However, if they are Mary Anne Dilley would have only been 14 years old when her daughter was born. I am aware that couples could marry at a young age, but is this likely? Martin

Kim

Kim Report 24 Jun 2004 10:47

people often did not have their true age recorded on census, especially some women seem to only age about 5 years between census! you would need to get hold of Louisa's birth cert whichshould give an address where born ..... Kim

Emma

Emma Report 24 Jun 2004 10:54

Martin, This is them I think in 1871 - mistranscription of ages on 1881? Henry Keats, head, mar, 46, chain maker, Wilts Sherston Mary Keats, wife, 47, Gloucestershire Bristol Emma, daur, 21, milliner, Middlesex St Lukes Louisa, daur, 14, Clerkenwell Henry, son, 12, scholar, St Lukes at 21 1/2 Warren St, Pentonville, St James Clerkenwell, London Source information: RG10/389 Registration district: Holborn Sub-registration district: Pentonville ED, institution, or vessel: 3 Folio: 28 Page: 49 Emma x

Martin

Martin Report 24 Jun 2004 11:25

Thanks everybody for your help, especially Emma. Great!! thanks a lot .... I think you have got them!!! Martin

Geoff

Geoff Report 24 Jun 2004 12:02

From BIVRI KEATS, Henry Richard Christening Gender: Male Christening Date: 19 Jun 1825 Recorded in: Sherston Magna, Wiltshire, England Father: James KEATS Mother: Eliza Source: FHL Film 1279304 Dates: 1653 - 1912 And earlier, presumably he died young - KEATS, Henry Christening Gender: Male Christening Date: 29 Dec 1820 Recorded in: Sherston Magna, Wiltshire, England Father: James KEATS Mother: Eliza Source: FHL Film 1279304 Dates: 1653 - 1912

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 24 Jun 2004 12:24

If she had become pregnant accidently and outside marriage, I imagine her parents would have been very keen to give their permission and marry her off to avoid scandel. Either thhat or it's a mistranscription of ages.