Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

might be able to knock down brick wall, Need help!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sally

Sally Report 23 Jun 2004 07:29

I have been searching for my Great Grandmothers Jane Wallbank parents, found out from her marriage cert, church of england, her father was George Spencer, on my trip to Preston Records Office last week found a Jane Wallbank born 1835 mother Elizabeth Walbank but, it was Catholic. Pleaseee does any one know have to find anything else about the Catholic's on the internet??? any tips would be gratefully received.

Seasons

Seasons Report 23 Jun 2004 09:11

Don't understand Is it any difference in the certificates you are looking for?

Sally

Sally Report 23 Jun 2004 09:25

Dear Julie, Thank you for taking interest, yes there is a difference her marriage certificate was church of england, christening found catholic. Do hope you can make something out of this. Sally.

Seasons

Seasons Report 23 Jun 2004 09:34

I don't know myself but am sure someone on here will be able to tell you "or perhaps on records board". I vaguely remember hearing about non establishment BDM's but won't comment - as I'll probably be wrong.

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 23 Jun 2004 09:39

Maybe a Catholic church would not marry them, if the husband was unwilling to convert, so they had to marry in C of E. Don't know, but just a thought

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Jun 2004 12:32

Sally Not clear what your actual query is. Are you trying to prove that they are the same person? I don't think that being catholic would have prevented her from marrying in the Church of England. Did you find her parents at the records office? was the Father the same as on the marriage certificate? I have looked at The Genealogists Internet and there are no sites listed specifically Catholic or Roman Catholic. Ann Glos

Sally

Sally Report 23 Jun 2004 13:13

thank you all for your replies, I am sorry have not made myself clear, here goes. Jane Walbank My great Grandma born 1835 married John Sutton at Penwortham Church of England in 1856 her father is named as George Spencer not deceased but, have not found out anything about him, just that there was a George Spencer born 1813 Penwortham. As she was born just before registration law came in can not get birth certificate. Searching could only find an Illigitimate Jane of Elizabeth Walbank born 25/04/1835 christened 03/05/1835 at a catholic church. then I am stuck. Please help someone!!!!!

David

David Report 23 Jun 2004 13:19

Can you find her on 1841 and 1851 censuses? The family she/her mother was living with might shed some light

Sally

Sally Report 23 Jun 2004 13:53

thank you David, will put a plea for 1841/51 census.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 23 Jun 2004 14:34

MY SISTER and I had aDOUBLE wedding and my HUBBY to be was the only cathalic among the four of us so we all married in the CHURCH of ENGLAND. HE never changed his religeon it was just easy all round JEAN