Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry 1871 census puzzle

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susanne

Susanne Report 23 Jun 2004 00:08

Why do all my Richold Families on the Ancestry 1871 suffolk census, come up with their name and (unknown) underneath? It is not just one person or family, but all of them! Sue:-)

Geoff

Geoff Report 23 Jun 2004 00:13

Would that be their places of birth?

Susanne

Susanne Report 23 Jun 2004 00:20

Geoff, I know that their place of birth is not listed but the unknown was actually under their names which was what threw me. You are probably right though. Many thanks Sue:-)

Lesley M

Lesley M Report 23 Jun 2004 07:14

I have some that have (unknown) under their name, but their place of birth is stated and is clear on the images. The "unknown" ones all seem to have unusual surnames, so perhaps it is something to do with that? Could it be that the transcriber had never heard of the surname so put (unknown) in as they weren't sure?