Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lost rellies? could they have been in the militia?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jan

Jan Report 22 Jun 2004 09:37

I have a CD with info on men from NORTHUMBERLAND and DURHAM who served in various regiments eg "Militia list including the Northumberland born people in the Northumberland Royal Garrison Artillery 1874 - 1912" eg the A names listed are: ADAMS, AIREY, ALDERSON, ALLAN, ALLATT, ALLEN, ANDERSON, ASH, ATKINSON, ASH, AUSTIN, AUSTON, AYNSLEY I'll look up any other names as requested. Jan

Seasons

Seasons Report 22 Jun 2004 10:39

I was told yesterday that one rellie married two soldiers in the same regiment in 1850's/1860's. She was widowed with at least one child and then married another soldier and had a few more children. Only on her death certificate when it listed both husbands did it mention a soldier but I took it to be her first husband not both. I don't suppose you have any records for the 71st Regiment of Foot around 1850's do you? It's these little snippets of information that are so interesting and one bit might lead to another and perhaps break a few brick walls!!!!

Jan

Jan Report 22 Jun 2004 11:42

Hi Julie This CD shows only those regiments listed I'm afraid. I bought more for the strays in Norfolk side and naturally none of my known rellies are shown!

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 22 Jun 2004 11:47

Hi Don't suppose their is any of the following listed is there: Enoch Spencer Ellis Spencer Frank Spencer would be early 1900's all were in the Cheshire Regiment at some time or other. Here's hoping Cheryl

Jan

Jan Report 23 Jun 2004 00:46

Sorry Cheryl nothing on here - perhaps the names from the Cheshire regiment don't go as far as 1900s. Jan

Penny

Penny Report 23 Jun 2004 08:03

I am looking for a James Rogers a Sapper in the Royal engineers (Aldershot) born approx 1853 also his son another James (Stephen) Rogers born 1878. Thanks Penny

Seasons

Seasons Report 23 Jun 2004 09:09

Thanks Jan Have just had another email with loads of info and that my rellie's 2nd husband was a military pensioner. The first one seems to have been killed and the other one wounded in service. Perhaps another source of info. I did find there's records at the PRO (I think - I do get easily confused) that has military chapliancy records for BDM's. May find the missing BDM's there perhaps

Jan

Jan Report 23 Jun 2004 23:32

Sorry Penny no Rogers at all on this list. Jan

Penny

Penny Report 23 Jun 2004 23:39

hi jan could i take you up on your offer? not really clear on info needed to search, holland - essex/middlesex evans -london/middlesex hunt - kent/london any thing you can find would be brill thanks penny

Jan

Jan Report 24 Jun 2004 01:10

Penny I think I put too much info in first message! Regiments covered....Essex Regiment, Northumberland RGA, Edinburgh RGA, Army Service Corps, Middlesex Regiment, Cheshire Regiment, S.E. Scotland RGA., Kent RGA, Cornwall & Devon RGA, West Surrey Regiment, Buffs, Hampshire & IOW RGA., Fife RGA, Lincolnshire Regiment, Dorset Regiment but names those of men from Northumberland and Durham. Sorry. Jan

Penny

Penny Report 24 Jun 2004 07:45

Thanks for looking Jan Pen (from Norfolk)

Penny

Penny Report 27 Jun 2004 22:57

jan thats ok, i was just grasping at straws LOL thanks anyway penny