Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1871 census norfolk

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maggie

Maggie Report 20 Jun 2004 22:26

Does anyone have access to this censusplease. I'm trying to trace the Sutton family. Father is Issac, then aged about 31, born in Swaffham. No record of his wife (first one I think). Daughter was Amelia born 1869 and son William born 1871, both born in Swaffham. I have 1881 census records when Issac was then with wife no. 3 living in Gorleston Suffolk.

Lynda

Lynda Report 20 Jun 2004 22:47

Hello Maggie I have Isaac Sutton in 1891 census and also 1901 if that is of any help? Lynda from Wales

Maggie

Maggie Report 21 Jun 2004 18:54

Tthanks Lynda, do you have details of who else was in the family? I'm trying to trace what I think is his first wife - mother of Amelia and William. 2nd wife was Mary, mother of Bessie. By 1881 he was on his 3rd, Charlotte. According to my Great Aunt who lived to 99 he had 4 wives.

Lynda

Lynda Report 21 Jun 2004 19:49

Hello Maggie According to the 1891 census Amelia was 23. Bessy was 16. Cuthbert was 3months. Isaac was 47 from Swaffingham Norfolk. Jane was his wife 33 from Marylebone. Then there was Wilfred 2 and the census was taken in Camberwell. The 1901 census was in Kent(He got around a lot didn't he) He and Jane were there with Cyril 6 Margaret 3 Richard 1 Susan 7. Wilfred was then 12 and there was a mother in law as a bonus called Jane Wilson aged 77. I also have the birthplaces if wanted. regards lynda

Maggie

Maggie Report 22 Jun 2004 16:58

Hi Lynda, yes he did move around a lot. I know he was born in Norfolk as were 2 youngest children. Married Mary in Middlesborough where 3rd child born. By 1881 in Suffolk with 3rd wife Charlotte. Jane must be his 4th wife - My Great Aunt told me he was married 4 times - also said last one was his niece! Do you want to e-mail me direct [email protected] Thanks - Maggie