Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

MEPO?? Can anyone explain?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

**chrispy**

**chrispy** Report 19 Jun 2004 22:59

Help - I have a reference here MEPO 21/44 1915-1917. I believe I can go to Kew and look up the details of a person's details on retirement including their pension - does the 1915-1917 indicate a particular book to look in or does this mean that the person retired in 1915 and their pension ran from 1915 -1917? which would give me a date of death. See, I am completely confused. Can anyone explain? Thanks Chris

Paul

Paul Report 19 Jun 2004 23:04

What other details do you have in connection with the reference number?? What names or dates are involved? Paul

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 19 Jun 2004 23:08

MEPO is an abbriviation for the Metropolitan Police. Did they give you a warrant number? Sheila

Bob

Bob Report 19 Jun 2004 23:32

The ref MEPO 21/44 is a set of records. Go to Procat and search for the reference: http://catalogue.pro.gov.uk/ As you no doubt know the details are only available on fiche

Geoff

Geoff Report 20 Jun 2004 08:55

"Records of Metropolitan Police pensioners who retired or resigned between 1852 and 1968 and who were granted or (after 1890) qualified for a police pension are to be found in class MEPO 21 . These contain detailed personal records, including physical description, date and place of birth, marital status, dates of service. Before 1923, names of parents and next of kin are also given. There is a nominal card index to MEPO 21 in the Research Enquiries Room for dates of retirement until March 1889. After March 1889 it is necessary to know the approximate date of retirement to use this class. (The date of retirement can be determined by referring to the register of leavers)."

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Jun 2004 13:37

You can also get some free info about your police ancestors from http://www.)policeorders.)co.)uk/ - remove brackets first. I used this to get the warrant numbers for my great-uncles. Helen

**chrispy**

**chrispy** Report 20 Jun 2004 22:24

Thanks to everyone for info. To Paul - the name is William Thomas Whitehead. I know he retired in 1915 but wanted to know what the 1917 meant. I was sure he was alive in the late1920s but cannot find any proof. I have found on LDS site a William Thomas Whitehead who died in 1917. This is why I asked if 1915-1917 has any reference to retirement to death dates or is just a random reference number. I have the warrant number. I want tosomehow prove that this is the 'old Bill 'that mydad remembers from the 1920s Thanks to you all Chris