Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Im on go slow

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

shropgirl

shropgirl Report 18 Jun 2004 22:17

Can anyone tell me please. The last few days, my comp takes ages to go from one page to the next I sit here waiting like a lemon.Is it because the Net is busy, or can I free something up on my comp to make it go faster. I am not joining Broadband This is happening on most sites. I have xp windows and my comp is 3yrs old Advice please Joan

Tallulah

Tallulah Report 18 Jun 2004 22:29

Joan, Do you do your "housekeeping" for e.g. Disk scan, Defragging, Disk clean-up and clearing out your temporary internet files? If so, then sorry don't know what is causing it,'fraid i'm not a comp. buff. If you don't you can get the info you need to do all above from a thread on the tips board put on by Judy in the states. Tricia

shropgirl

shropgirl Report 18 Jun 2004 22:33

Thank you Tricia Done all that, but think a defrag is due again.. Thanks Joan

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Jun 2004 00:35

hi joan,a lot of us on dial-up,are having problems with this site...wot i do is...when i click on a page etc,i rest my mouse on refresh,and i find it really helps......bryan.

shropgirl

shropgirl Report 19 Jun 2004 12:06

Thanks Brian for that. Do you mean the Refresh in View ? Joan

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 19 Jun 2004 13:03

Sorry guys, but broadband is the ONLY way to go... I switched over a few months ago and wouldn't dream of going back. Dial-up connections are far too slow to be used for downloading loads of large files, such as the census images etc that we need to access. It doesn't matter how fast or how "clean" your PC is, you can only shove so much data up & down a phone line using a dial-up modem. Broadband will give you 10 to 20 times the speed, and believe me, it's worth every penny! Richard

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Jun 2004 14:31

hi joan,ime on windows95...and as i look at the top of the screen,i see the following buttons..from left to right..back/forward/stop/refresh/home/search,etc etc...well as soon as i click on a page,i rest my curser over the refresh button,and i find it speeds things up,not a lot,but its better than looking at a blank screen....bryan.

shropgirl

shropgirl Report 19 Jun 2004 20:10

Thanks all of you.. Joan

shropgirl

shropgirl Report 19 Jun 2004 20:27

Patricia. I had that problem also. Are you still using the old Genesconnected Start.from your Favourites. Now its Genesreunited, and its put into your favourites as that address. it gets rid of the error page. Hope it makes sense Also tidied up what I dont need on the Comp. Hope it works Joan

shropgirl

shropgirl Report 19 Jun 2004 21:35

PAT Put a message on for you for help Joan

Brenda

Brenda Report 19 Jun 2004 21:37

joan do you have an antivirus installed im just wondering if you have a bug

shropgirl

shropgirl Report 19 Jun 2004 21:59

Brenda Im ok now thanks, I have all the checkers, and no Virus. Its Pat Im trying to help. now.. Thanks Joan