Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I'm a bit stuck..

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 18 Jun 2004 13:58

see below

Tallulah

Tallulah Report 18 Jun 2004 14:03

what are you stuck on Naomi? Tricia

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 18 Jun 2004 14:08

Hello All, I've got an ancestor William Edward Goodyear. He married Sarah Ann Bridges in Lambeth in 1853 and they lived at Ferry Street. The cert just says they were both of full age. I know they definitely had a daughter in 1862 and they lived at 25 Salutation Place, Lambeth. I have found Sarah and 3 children in the workhouse in 1871 but no sign of William. I have also found some of the children on the 1881 but not the mother. Max in London kindly did a look-up on the 1861 census for me but can't find any record of them. So I am having trouble getting an age for William. I found a death cert for 1866 and thought this may be him resulting in the family going into the workhouse. I ordered it and it arrived extremely quickly. Being excited I hoped it was his and it would have his wife as the informant. However, it turns out the death cert I have is for a William Goodyear age 43 died of "formal hanging of a prisoner at Womwood Scrubs" so another full stop as I can't verify if this is my William Goodyear. I forgot to mention, his occupation on his daughters birth cert is as bricklayer, journeyman. The occupation on the death cert is of Mason. I'm not sure where to look now. Any suggestions? Thanks Naomi x

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 18 Jun 2004 14:09

sorry Tricia it took me a little while to get my brain in order. Extremely hungover and only got to bed at 5 this morning and still had to get up for work today. :0(

Zoe

Zoe Report 18 Jun 2004 14:19

do you have the fathers name from the wedding cert?

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 18 Jun 2004 14:22

Hi Zoe, William Edward Goodyear's father was also William Edward Goodyear. Sarah Ann Bridges was Daniel Bridges. Naomi xx

Zoe

Zoe Report 18 Jun 2004 14:26

okay - thats my first theory out the window. Have you tried to trace the court reports for the William who was hung to see if this gives you any clues. I would imagine for a hanging you should be able to find either those or some references in newspapers of the time.

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 18 Jun 2004 14:33

I'm not sure where to look for that information Zoe. I looked on the Old Bailey website but nothing much on there. Do you know of any websites?

Tallulah

Tallulah Report 18 Jun 2004 14:34

I don't know if it helps or if you already know but "full age" usually meant over 21 so this would give the year of birth c. 1832. Sorry relatively new to this. Tricia

Geoff

Geoff Report 18 Jun 2004 14:37

1832 at the latest (if they were telling the truth!).

Zoe

Zoe Report 18 Jun 2004 15:32

Naomi For court reports I would imagine the PRO at Kew. Best place for old newspapers would be British Library Newspaper Collection at Colindale. I'd start with the day/day after the hanging (which I would assume is the date of death) ato see of reports that tha hanging was going/had happened - this would probably give you more details of the crime and where to look for more info Try posting on the Records board in case someone is planning to make a journey there already Zoe