Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lancashire help with districts needed.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Jun 2004 11:35

Hi all, I am having a problem trying to locate an ancestor after his birth. I have his birth cert .. born August 1848, address Harpushley .. sub district: Blackley, Reg District: Manchester ... I cannot find him after this apart from on 1861 census saying born in Harpushley. Am trying to locate him on 1881 census (IGI) but can only find one born 1848 .. that one says he was born in GEE CROSS, Cheshire. Does anyone know where Gee Cross is ? or another name for it ...have looked on the Register Districts on Free BMD can't find it. I am trying to deny or confirm that this person born in Gee Cross is the same one I'm looking for ... boy do I hope it is !! Thanks in anticipation Elaine :-)

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 18 Jun 2004 11:47

Hi Elaine Go to this page for an explanation: http://www.fhsc.org.uk/genuki/chs/hyde.htm Jeanette:-)

Suzy

Suzy Report 18 Jun 2004 11:48

Do you want to give us a name, and we can try for you.

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Jun 2004 11:55

Thanks all ... wasn't expecting a reply so quickly ! but I should have known really shouldn't I. Suzi, the guy I'm after is: John James Shawcross b August 1848 in Harpushley, have him on the 1861 aged 12 still living at home ...Belle Vue Place, Kirkmanhulme (Gorton??) this changes to plain Manchester on the IGI for 1881 but on Dad's death cert in 1897 it states Longsight, Newton as the address. Will go and check out the advice you have all given. Thanks a million for getting back to me. Elaine :-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Jun 2004 12:20

Hi, Thanks for the advice re: genuki ... good site ..but now I'm really confused ..as it says Newton was part of Hyde ..and since the address I have on some of the certs says Newton, I'm now not sure what to make of it all. I'm gonna send away for the marriage cert for the John Shawcross born in Gee Cross (have found that one) and see if it gives his father as John Shawcross or gives me any further info from witnesses etc. At least this way I can elliminate him ...or maybe find his entire family !! Thanks everyone for your time and trouble. Very Much Appreciated. Elaine :-)

Sally

Sally Report 18 Jun 2004 14:57

Hi Elaine, I have just received a birth cert today for my gt-grandfather, "Registration District of Prestwich, 1878 birth in the sub-district of Newton in the County of Lancaster" The family lived in Bradford, Manchester, which is next to Gorton. Just to confuse you more!! Sally

Geoff

Geoff Report 18 Jun 2004 15:19

Definitions of Lancashire districts is here http://www.fhsc.org.uk/genuki/REG/lan.htm

Brenda

Brenda Report 18 Jun 2004 16:13

Elaine ,at one time Newton was a very large area in Manchester,over the years it has shrunk and other names given to the places.The ones that are left are Newton Heath in manchester and there is a Newton near Hyde in cheshire. The Harpurhey area was part of Newton as was Collyhurst and Miles Platting .Depending on the year ,BMD would have been recorded in various registrar districts.You can obtain a guide to these districts from the Manchester and Lancashire FHS. Brenda

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Jun 2004 16:48

Thanks everyone ...I won't be sending for the Gee Cross marriage after all !! Thanks to all of you for your help and advice ... both on and off the board, things are a little clearer now. I'm just going to resign myself to the fact that a lot of my ancestors were very secretive and didn't consider future generations in their day to day living !! and didn't botrher to leave clues !! Mind you, the 1871 census might help .. the day it is released !! I'm a patient person ... luckily ! Thanks all Elaine :-)

mo50

mo50 Report 20 Jun 2004 13:24

Hi Elaine go to cheshirebmd web site for births there is ajames born in hyde and also a john . hope this helps you it isa free site maureen