Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

French genealogy terms

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 17 Jun 2004 10:12

Hi, I'm currently working from a genealogy prepared for the Swiss side of my family. Most is easy to decipher, even with my rusty French, but I wonder if anyone could enlighten me about a couple of terms? Or suggest some places to look (I've had a general Web search but haven't found a definitive answer). What I want to know is: 1) 'teste' - term used when dates of birth, death etc are unclear, ie 'teste en 1530'. What does it mean in this context? I have been told it means 'witnessed' - but what does that mean exactly? Any ideas? 2) the difference between a child born out of marriage who is 'legitime' [there's an accent on the final e] and one who is 'reconnu'? Is there a legal difference? Answers gratefully received! karen

Geoff

Geoff Report 17 Jun 2004 10:19

The verb "tester" means to make ones will. I would imagine that "legitime" would mean that the child had been legitimised by the parents later marrying. Reconnu means recognised - I would imagine that the father had acknowledged paternity (but they hadn't married?)

Karen

Karen Report 17 Jun 2004 12:27

Thanks Geoff - 'teste' certainly makes sense in that context. On the 'legitime' subject - I have no record of the parents subsequently marrying, although the child does have the father's surname. Could a child be 'legitimised' any other way?