Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone have a Sheffield street index for 1841

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Martin

Martin Report 16 Jun 2004 22:05

Hi, Just got a birth certificate through today and would like to ask one of our fantastic lookers up to check something for me.....but the road name on the certificate is very difficult to read....the road name looks like Jefsop Lane but don't think this can be correct....Does anyone know if there is anywhere I can check through street names in Sheffield around the 1841 time which is when I need the lookup...any tips greatly appreciated. Regards Martin

Helen in Berkshire

Helen in Berkshire Report 16 Jun 2004 22:57

Martin I used to live in Sheffield and I would have thought that your road name could be Jessop - there is or was a Jessop's Hospital near the centre of the city. Sorry - can't find current street atlas at the moment - someone else may be able to help you with more precise information. Good luck Helen

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC)

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 16 Jun 2004 23:06

Greeting’s Martin. . . . Looked up Kelley’s Directory for Sheffield 1839 Sorry but closest to your date. NO JEFSOP LANE FOUND But there is the following. . . . JEPSON YARD (off Edwards Street) 6. Butler Chas. Iron Sole Maker. 8. Ayre Thomas. Bone scale maker. JESSOP STREET. 71. Coggin Jonathan. Beer retailer. 87. Shirtcliff James. Shopkeeper. 105. Barser & Brookes. Pen & Pocket knife manufacturers. 4. Knowles Lydia. Dress Maker. 6. Bryars J. Tailer. 20. Skelton K. Straw Hat Maker. 22, Turner S. Upholsterer. 52, Britton William. Beer retailer. 56, Davenport J. Saw manufacturer. That’s all that was printed Hope this is of help. MIKE.

Martin

Martin Report 17 Jun 2004 08:35

Mike/Helen...thanks for your replies... Mike..whats "kelleys directory" ? Is that some cds you have or is there a web site I can check ? Regards Martin

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC)

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 17 Jun 2004 11:17

Greeting's Again Martin. . . . . Kelly's Directories were the forerunner to the modern street guide and index to trades along with some history on the area. If your type Kelly's directories into any search engine e.g. google and click the uk choice you will have a very wide choice. When you have found the one you require add this to your Favorites. MIKE.