Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

havent got the surname

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alison

Alison Report 15 Jun 2004 21:59

I cant find my grandfathers surname, even though he has always been a Hillier he wasnt born that way. I cant get any help from the family and the gravestones are non existent, I know that he wasn't registered Hillier because I couldnt find his birth certificate at the records office when I searched a few years ago. Someone once said that his surname shouldve been Day but theres nothing to back this up. But, his christian name was Colwyn and this is quite an unusual name, he once told me that he was named after his place of birth, but this doesnt help without a surname. What could I do next? Thanx Ally

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 15 Jun 2004 22:01

Ally, what year roughly are we talking about here please. :-)) Maz. XX

Alison

Alison Report 15 Jun 2004 22:05

he was born in 1915

Steph

Steph Report 15 Jun 2004 22:28

Alison, Colwyn is an unusual christian name. Doing a search an ancestry, just with Colwyn as first name ,I see that there are a handful of Colwyn as first name and most as middle name. and 2 on the 1901 census. Is it poss. that it may be a family christian name, passed down, and perhaps you could check out the 2 on the 1901 census?? Just a thought as I've had certain christian names run through my family for generations! Good luck! Steph